An interesting thread that ended up talking about Job is developing. You should check it out: Abuses In The Name of Christianity.
I said that I believed Job is the biblical book for out time. Here’s some things to learn from Job:
- He never found out why he suffered as he did.
- His questions were answered with bigger questions.
- His friends had all the correct theological answers but were wrong at a deeper level.
- Job’s suffering is explained as a meaningless bet between God and Satan.
- Satan lost. But so did Job.
- Most often it is better to be silent than to be right.
- The meaning of suffering is hidden from us.
- Don’t be surprised when you are suffering if you are either attacked or abandoned.
- Our minds crave answers. Job finds peace beyond answers.
- All is mystery.