An Atheist Reading of Scripture

Blog Forums Reconstruction Atheism, Agnosticism & Science An Atheist Reading of Scripture

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cowboyjunkey cowboyjunkey 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

irreverance
    Participant

Below is a link to Sam Harris addressing the accusation that atheists tend to read religious scriptures literally. I’ve watched this a few times. The more I listen to it, the more his answer bothers me. He basically argues that a more moderate reading of scripture is a form of “cherry picking” in which the best parts are accepted and the worst parts ignored. Many passages, he asserts, can’t avoid reading literally. Furthermore, those who offer this criticism show a “failure to acknowledge just how many people really do approach these texts literally.” I actually find this bizarre. He effectively argues that a literal reading of scripture is the appropriate reading, and dismisses any other approach.

I know there are atheists, a/theists, and theists here. I would like to hear how others respond to this.

Profile photo of cowboyjunkey
    cowboyjunkey
    Participant

I’ve watched it once and I can’t see a coherent argument.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.