chronic health issues

Blog Forums Reconstruction Leftovers chronic health issues

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ang Ang 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

The spoon theory is a good analogy to describe to others how we make it thru the day.  Or sometimes don’t make it thru the day.  I know they will never truly understand but I still try.    I could have used some more spoons today.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Ang Ang.
    Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this Ang.  I’d never heard of the spoon theory.  I also noted that you said you could have used some spoons today.  I hope all is well.

Profile photo of Crysti
    Crysti
    Participant

Hoping for enough spoons for you. I am going to share this with my boss. I had a tumor in my spine at 32, I am now 37 and have about 8 spoons. I one only had about 1 or less so I try to be grateful. But if I use 12, I can’t move for a week. And I know this but still want to make stupid NYE resolutions like exercise more.  Ah, Ito damn young for this too few of spoons.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Love the “spoon theory!” It does indeed suck to have too few spoons! (I know this due to having Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.)

I was just thinking earlier this evening that I’d like to invite a friend over so I don’t have to spend New Year’s Day alone.  But then I started thinking of all the “spoons” that would require (taking a shower, doing my hair, putting on make-up, tidying up the house, and running to the grocery store for some munchies), and it didn’t take long for me to completely talk myself out of the idea! So I will “become one with my recliner” and watch the Rose parade and Rose Bowl by myself. Might just stay in my PJ’s all day too! My dog won’t mind – ha!

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

Yes, sg, I was okay.  It’s just when I use all my spoons one day, I’m usually short of spoons the next day and don’t quite find all my spoons that day.  smile…

Crystal, I hope it helps your boss to understand.  I worked until I was 35 and I just couldn’t make it for the 8 hours after that.  And I was a secretary at Southwestern Bell.  It wasn’t like typing and the pen were heavy lifting.  I had a boss who tried to understand.  But I don’t think anyone can truly understand how it feels.  As you said when you wake up in the morning, you have to start planing your day so you’ll have energy left for the next day.

Jo, I understand about not doing things because of all the work it entails (spoons) just to get ready to GO to do something.  And I joined you today by staying at home in my gown.  As you said, my dogs have never complained.  So life is okay!  Even though it does suck!  ha ha…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Using a “spoon” to type a reply…but worth it.  Thank you SO much for sharing this story and analogy; the timing was perfect!  I am home today from work dealing with a flare-up of a side-effect of my chronic disease.  I’m in pain and exhausted and have hardly moved except to put some food in the crock-pot so I don’t have to cook later.  I often feel so alone with my aches/pains; it feels comforting to know others “get” it.  I wish us all patience and determination as we cope through all the ups/downs of chronic illness.  Thanks for starting this thread Ang!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Honeyglow – sorry you are going through a flare-up a using one of your precious “spoons” just to type. NOT FUN!

You are definitely not alone! If you need more reinforcements, there is another thread on chronic illness from awhile back. I think it’s  titled Chronic Illness: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. (You’d think I’d know for sure since I was the one who started it.  That’s how my brain does – or mostly doesn’t – work  ha!)

I have CFS and yesterday I babysat my grandson 10 and 1/2 hours (WAY TOO LONG – plus it required going up and down stairs several times which is a killer for me.) Then afterward I had to do some grocery shopping for myself and an ill friend. By the time I got home it was a 12 hour day. Today I feel like a Mack truck ran over me. I ache all over and it takes monumental effort just to get off the couch.  When I overdo it like I did yesterday that means today (and probably tomorrow) I have to “become one with my recliner!”

Been missing you, so I’m glad you finally posted something. Sorry for the reason though. Hope this will be a short flare-up and that you’ll soon be much, much better!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Aw, thank you so much Jo!  I greatly appreciate your validation and encouragement.  I am sorry to hear that you had such a rough day after watching your grandson; it must be so frustrating to have to trade a write-off-of-a-day for grandma duties/errands.  I completely relate!  I feel that way when I need to do deep housecleaning.  I pay immensely for it…all the bending, kneeling, stretching, etc.  I hope you are regaining your strength and have a few extra polished “spoons” to use today.   May you have a blessed weekend!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

The spoon theory makes sense. I was born with cerebral palsy.  As I have moved into my 40s I have developed post impairment syndrome to go along with it.  I live with constant pain and fatigue.  So many things take so much energy now that they didn’t used to.  I used to be a full time secretary, bike, volunteer, etc.  Now it’s all I can do to keep my house up, raise my girls and study my college lessons.  At least I am still able to think.

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

We all have so much ‘want to’ and so little energy to ‘do’….  ahhh…  Big hugs to everyone.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.