Finding my own voice

Blog Forums Deconstruction Trying to Move On Finding my own voice

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of margaret-trezevant Margaret-Trezevant 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of margaret-trezevant
    Margaret-Trezevant
    Participant

I attended our parish retreat this weekend.  Ît was very good, about Franciscan spirituality with a little Jung thrown in. The leader talked about the masks we wear and how those masks keep us imprisoned and unable to recognize our true selves, becoming whole so we can be truly alive. And also the idea of embracing our shadow selves, and loving that too. All good stuff. Until he said we all really need a spiritual director and that we need a practice of prayer in order to hear the word of God.  I have had a spiritual director, and at times I think I should have one again, but I am so resistant to the idea of turning anything over,particularly something as sensitive as my spiritual life and undèrstanding to anyone else. What do they know that I don’t,or that I must seek out for myself?  And prayer, I’m still working that out. I’d rather sit in my garden.  That’s where I feel God.

Profile photo of SassyShae
    SassyShae
    Participant

Hi, Margaret.  As far as I’m concerned, prayer is a personal thing. So many formulas exist to do it “right” but it is truly communication between you and God.  If you feel God while sitting in your garden, then sit in your garden.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Margaret – I think it is important to at least hammer out your own basic spiritual beliefs first. You can kick all kinds of ideas around on TLS without any of us saying THIS is the RIGHT way or THIS is the way you need to function spiritually.  Since God made us all uniquely different, I don’t think any two people’s spirituality or way of praying will be the same – and I think that is a beautiful thing! Later on, if you really feel you want or need a spiritual director you can always get one. But the other person isn’t YOU – therefore I think the decisions you come to on your own regarding spirituality will be the best and most meaningful ones!

Profile photo of margaret-trezevant
    Margaret-Trezevant
    Participant

It’s a real tension that we live in, I think, to listen to and use the wisdom of others, and incorporate it into our own thinking and world view, and to follow ones own light. My hackles get raised at the suggestion that I need someone else to help me find the truth for myself, and yet don’t we all help each other along? Isn’t that what we do here at TLS?  Separating wheat from chaff. Not an easy thing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.