Happy Mars Hill Truth Day!

Blog Forums Deconstruction Spiritual Abuse Happy Mars Hill Truth Day!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pamwerner pamwerner 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m new here, and I’m sure most of you have already read most, if not all, of these stories, perhaps multiple times, but I just wanted to share this with you again.

Today marks the one year anniversary of my story of spiritual abuse at Mars Hill Church in Seattle being published and going viral, and the floodgates opening for similar stories of spiritual abuse to be shared. Here’s hoping it leads to healing and hope and the destruction of influence of this sick man and his un-Christlike cult in Seattle.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2012/02/mars_hill_pastor_mark_driscoll_faces_backlash_over_church_discipline_case_.html

and this: http://joyfulexiles.com/

and this: http://marshillrefuge.blogspot.com/

Here are the original blog posts with my story. If you haven’t read these, or if it’s been awhile, please read them. Also, please share these stories with your networks. It’s important that these stories get out for two main reasons. The first reason is to help the healing of those who have been hurt by churches, and to let them know they’re not alone, and they’re not crazy. The second reason is to warn people about the danger of Mars Hill Church and Mark Driscoll.

http://matthewpaulturner.com/most-read/jesus-needs-new-pr/mark-driscolls-church-discipline-contract-looking-for-true-repentance-at-mars-hill-church-sign-on-the-dotted-line

https://matthewpaulturner.com/most-read/jesus-needs-new-pr/mark-driscolls-gospel-shame-the-truth-about-discipline-excommunication-and-cult-like-control-at-mars-hill

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Read through a few articles, and it was quite intense. I’m glad I stopped reading/listening to his material when I did. How are you doing now?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Literal Poet –  Welcome!  You are beyond courageous and my hat is off to you!!

Thank you for the links to the various artcles about Mars Hill. I could only get through reading the first three.

What a tragedy for all the innocent victims (as well as the screwed-up leaders.) I’m glad you and many others are bravely, openly, honestly, and publicly telling your abusive experiences with Mars Hill. That is a high profile case of “abuse of power” by clergy which is repeated in countless smaller churches as well. Hopefully victims in those churches (who havent realized they were victims of spiritual abuse) will read your stories and the truth will set them free from any further clergy/church abuse!

There were some more posts about Mars Hill in another thread, but I can’t remember which one. I’ll try to find it and get back to you on that.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Found it – it is in the “daily snacks” category and is titled: my deconstruction of Mark Driscoll’s tweet about Obama

You will find some “kindred spirit comrades” on that thread.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow.  I am in awe of the courage of the people who have been through all this stuff.  Keep speaking up, because the ripple effects of this man are wide-spread.

Profile photo of pamwerner
    pamwerner
    Participant

Hi Literal Poet :)

you are one of my heroes :) glad you are here.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

What ever happened with your fiance? I’m guessing she came out looking like the victim. The poor princess who took a bite of the poison apple and needed to be rescued from the bad, bad man!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hey everybody,

thanks for reading/commenting.

My journey into questioning had already started in some small ways before the debacle with Mars Hill, and I think I may have eventually ended up in a similar place, regardless. However, the vitriol I was met with when I opposed their rules, and the angry, hateful, hurtful responses from people who claimed to be “Christians” definitely accelerated the journey I’m on.

The pain is still there, and while I can ignore it for a period of time, it always forces itself back into the forefront of my heart on a far too frequent basis. THe simplest things can set it off, and even something that may seem completely unrelated. For instance, seeing a baby can remind me of the guys I was friends with who had young families, who haven’t talked to me since I left.

While I tried my hardest for a very long time to hold onto my faith and belief in God, the last thread broke about 10 days ago, and I realized I can no longer believe in God. I’m a believer in beauty, and poetry, and in some level of spirituality, and that there is some connection out there between all of us, and the world around us, but I can no longer claim the title of “Christian.” I am not sure what group of believers I can identify with, but “Agnostic” seems to be the closest, from what I know of Agnosticism so far, and what I know of myself.
    This is incredibly hard for me to admit to myself, and even harder to share with anyone else. I just hope someone else can be helped by hearing it, the same as my desire for telling my story about Mars Hill.

Paula: Yes, that’s exactly what happened. She was the one “sexually sinned against.” (Exact words from a Mars Hill press release)

Profile photo of pamwerner
    pamwerner
    Participant

Poet,

i think you are braver than most and honest with yourself. I applaud you. Your experience at MH was much more extreme than mine! I think I am not atheist but becoming agnostic as well. I was so frustrated by the comments on my blog. But mostly, I don’t think there is anything wrong with me so I am not sure I need to be saved.  Thank you for being my friend. :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.