have you become more creative on this journey?

Blog Forums Introductions Chit Chat have you become more creative on this journey?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Crysti Crysti 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Emily Riley

I pulled out a sketchbook yesterday for the first time in over two years and drew for nearly three hours. I’ve recently learned to crochet and started journaling again. Granted, I am not working this summer due to several surgeries and health issues so I’ve got extra time but its been a long time since I had the desire to be creative at all. I think this is a good sign of my mental state just balancing back out. the last year has been a hard one of depression and loneliness and ups and downs and nothing in me has wanted to do anything creative. but lately I’ve been thinking about writing lyrics/poetry again. that scares me because that has always been within the construct of my church so it’s been a learning process on how to do it again. have any of you noticed as you work through the spiritual side of things that the creative side wakes back up?

Wade
    Participant

I think trying to be more creative in a new way is what has helped me take my spiritual journey.

I’m a writer by temperament, if not (yet, hopefully) by profession. Writing fiction, especially speculative fiction which is what I write, is a lesson in “what if?”. There is a reason writers of fiction tend to have wide-ranging and eclectic libraries of their own. :-) My writing attempts mean I have made some wonderful new friends and have opened myself to some amazing new experiences.

Wade.

Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat
    Schroedingers-Cat
    Participant

I have written and published one short story, and have another full length one in preparation. So yes, more creative, now I am not focusing all my energy into church stuff.

It sort of works in two ways – firstly, I have more time to put into alternative creative endeavours, but also I need a direction for my ideas and explorations. this used to go into church stuff – sermons and the like. Now I direct the same energy and creativity differently. I am happier about it too.

Profile photo of Discovering-Life
    Discovering-Life
    Participant

I just don’t know. I used to spend a lot of time drawing from elementary through college, especially at church or any mandatory “sit and listen to stuff you’ve heard a million times” events. My family went to church a lot, 3+ times a week and in college we had M-F mandatory chapel and of course SS and an AM service on Sundays. My journey out of fundamentalism has been going on for 2 1/2 years now and about a year and a half ago that I realized I had quit drawing. Its weird, I still enjoy drawing and totally get lost in the flow when doing it but the desire isn’t there anymore. It’s like I don’t NEED to draw anymore. I still have ideas and pictures floating around in my head but I’m comfortable with them staying in my head for now, I think. Sometimes I worry I’m wasting my talent, and then I wonder if that’s just the old “god gave it so you have to use it no matter what” guilt message. I did take some art classes this past spring, again enjoyed it and will do some additional classes in the fall, but I just don’t know, maybe art was a coping mechanism/escape and now that I’m mostly out of that toxic environment I don’t need it any more, which would be kind of sad. The question has been bugging me in a “I’m not upset, why am I not upset? Now I’m upset because I’m not upset” if that makes any kind of sense :-/

Profile photo of Crysti
    Crysti
    Participant

Yes! I agree that there is more time now without church stuff. I also have finally stopped working part-time, trying to “faith my way” through my disabilities after cancer and now I finally feel like I am coming out of the hibernation of leaving church January (2012) – so I have started quilting and collecting vintage toys. And I am starting to write on my blog again too (myhearthashands.com)- just fun stuff, not the serious stuff I started trying to write about after my first mission trip (July 2012, scheduled before I left the church). Anyway, yes, and I do my most creative stuff when listening to Bon Jovi radio on Pandora- since I couldn’t listen to anything but worship music before and then no music for a while. So, I am going back to my 80s music – haha! It is healing to be creative. Or at least to me. By the way, this is “Bobbie Ann” on FB- too cowardly to be on there under my old FB page that I also shut down after leaving the church.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.