Hey

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BrianD
    BrianD
    Participant

Hey!

My name’s Brian, I’m from Louisville, Kentucky and I’ve finally decided to give this forum a shot.

To start with: I became a Christian at age 18, 25 years ago, and more or less deconverted privately in the past few months for one simple reason: with all of the crap I’ve been through, I can’t see how God exists…or he’s a real bastard.

I’ve been a part of numerous churches, from megachurches to small Calvary Chapels. My involvement with a up and coming Reformed Southern Baptist megachurch was more or less the final straw in so far as for me being involved with any church of any kind; reflection on my position in life was more or less the last straw as far as God is concerned.

I wouldn’t say I’ve ‘converted’ to atheism, especially given the religious tone I’ve observed at several of the more popular atheism forums I’ve checked out online.

In fact I’m not willing to go anywhere where you have to jump through the hoops and say the right things to fit in – I’m still trying to sort out how much of that is people being people and how much of it is bull**** tied into religion.

I’m not sure yet what else I want to say or how much more I want to tell about myself.

So…ask me anything you want! :-D

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

Welcome Brian.  You have joined a great group of people.  Life can really suck and yes, it makes us question everything.  Or at least it did me.  And most of the questions that once had nice pat answers are now all “Are you kidding me!  How did I believe that?!!”  Anyway, glad you are here!

Profile photo of BrianD
    BrianD
    Participant

Thank you, Ang!

I wanted to add that I decided to join the group after reading David’s church and loneliness cartoon the other day on his Patheos page. I saw the comments there, and decided that whatever I wanted to say wasn’t gonna get said there.

Profile photo of JeffPrideaux
    JeffPrideaux
    Participant

Yes, TLS is only about giving people space to discover themselves.  It isn’t about converting anyone from A to B.  It is true, though, that giving people space to discover themselves and not trying to convert them flies in the face of certain religious traditions but so be it.

welcome to the group (and the FB page).

Some of us like to comment on the Naked Pastore site as well; others don’t.   It is nice to have multiple opportunities to express yourself and to different audiences.  Just choose what works best for you.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Welcome aboard Brian!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.