Ironic Messages

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church Ironic Messages

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat Schroedingers-Cat 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

There were times that I used to believe what people were saying when they got up and passionately stated what they were all about. The thing is, I think they really meant it, I know I did, but meaning and believing it are not the same thing as living it. Has anyone else heard someone say something ironic in church?

Here are a few of my favorite examples and my observations:

“We aren’t here to put on another church service” – It’s another church service
    “We’re here to build relationships” – Everyone is so busy that they have no time to talk to people and actually get to know one another
    “I don’t want to just hand out tasks” – Only talks to you when they want you to do something
    “It isn’t about the numbers, it’s about people” – Always looking for ways to improve the numbers
    “We aren’t here to put on a show” – looks like a show

I’m sure I could go on, but can anyone else relate to that?

I’m Brian by the way, I just found this wonderful site and I’m excited to get to know some people and have some good discussions.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Welcome Brian! I can definitely relate to what you’re saying. What used to get to me when I was going to church were times they couldn’t financially help members in true need, yet the church could buy the latest electronic equipment or theater-type colored lights, etc. It’s been about 2 years since I’ve been to church so I’ve pretty much forgotten specific things they said that were ironic. But I’m sure there were plenty of them! Your list was a good one!

Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat
    Schroedingers-Cat
    Participant

Welcome Brian! I think there is a bigger problem, that these appear ironic, but those who say them do not see them as ironic. They actually believe what they say sincerely, but don’t appreciate the contradiction.

I have noticed that churches have a tendency to put together great ideas and principles and mission statements and whatever, all of which sound good. But there is a intense disconnect between the words and the actions. And they don’t realise this, which is a conceptual problem not an intelligence problem.

So, for example, they claim that they as a church want to “reach out to those who have not contact with the church”. But actually change nothing in the church to do this. Or listen to those who want nothing to do with the church. Or change the spending – financial and resources – less on running the church and more on those outside.

So fun list. I think “We want to reach out to others” is my all time bug bear.

Emily Riley

my old church constantly said things like “we want to reach out to our community” but couldn’t even manage to talk to people outside their own small group.

Profile photo of Kate
    Kate
    Participant

I totally relate…I wish more churches were interested in people and not just numbers.  I think the irony is if they were they might just grow their numbers too.

Profile photo of Chris M
    Chris M
    Participant

Hey Brian – welcome to the group!  I agree, the church can be filled with irony.  I really don’t like any christianese kind of talk

Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat
    Schroedingers-Cat
    Participant

Katie – well yes, that is the ultimate irony. If a church were to sell up, invest in the community, lose any real sense of distinct identity, but be a force for good in the local area, there might be the revival of interest in the spiritual. It would not make for a larger “church”, if you abandon the concept of church as something distinct, but it might mean that people encounter and engage with God. The Christian God.

And, despite what some people seem to think, that is what I want – I passionately want people to meet with God. At the end of the day, I am a real evo.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.