It's happened.

Blog Forums Deconstruction Family & Friends It's happened.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Wade 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author

Wade
    Participant

My cat-ears are because that’s also my Twitter avatar and I said something to David on Twitter about them. So I thought I’d upgrade my TLS avater. It’s/they’re a Necomimi.

My silly headwear aside, there is an existing model for teaching any subject as far as the participant wants or needs. Just look at any vocational training system. Or community course tree (such a language). Or an industry certification (like one of Microsoft’s). There is entry level training, there is intermediate training and there is advanced training. People learn as much as they want or need and then get to put it to use. Why doesn’t the church do this?

This is one of the main points in Frank Viola’s Pagan Christianity. In the model of a church he espouses, the members do not come together in a weekly service to hear a paid preacher. Teaching is still done, but in an as-required context, much like (surprise surprise) secular training. Some of this sort of training could be available to anyone from about 12 or 14 or 16. It would catch a lot of teenagers start asking deeper questions as they get too old for the sunday-school stories. Adults who find Christianity later in life would benefit from hearing the childrens’ stories “re-adult-ified”, perhaps as a companion course to what they’re really asking about.

It’s interesting that the discussion has taken this turn. I’d heard about the emerging church before I was put onto TLS, and Pagan Christianity was recommended by someone on TLS, in fact. When I get my copy back from the friend who has borrowed it, I intend to inflict it upon one of my church elders. I told him about it this morning and he’s interested.

Wade.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.