Pastor-ish

Blog Forums Introductions Meet & Greet Pastor-ish

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  irreverance 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Doug Hagler
    Doug Hagler
    Participant

Hello, my name is Doug. I’m currently working as a designated pastor in the Philly metro area. I’ll keep this light and easy, so to speak, so: I’m a husband and a dad; in my spare time I’m a writer and editor and game designer; I also like to play games, both the tabletop face-to-face kind and the letting-my-brain-rest XBox or computer kind. I’ve struggled with depression my whole life, but right now we’re in a detente. I’m new to the church position, but things are going OK so far. Lots of conflict and woundedness, but I knew that going in.

I’ve been a lifelong Christian of the Presbyterian flavor, though I’m possibly the least Presbyterian Presbyterian ever to live. I’ve also integrated a lot of ideas from other sources into my own way of thinking about the world. I’ve been a Buddhist practitioner for about 13 years, but have not been part of a sangha, so in a way that probably doesn’t count. But I meditate a lot, so there’s that.

I had a strong feeling that I wanted to be part of this community, but I’m not precisely sure why yet. Luckily I’ve got a year to figure it out.

I used the topic title “Pastor-ish” because I am a pastor, and most of the time feel like I’m doing good things, but over and over again I’ve been told that I’m strange for a pastor, or don’t seem like a pastor, or someone would never have guessed that I was a pastor, etc. I’m not sure whether these are compliments or not, but I do know that when someone asks me what I do sitting next to me on an airplane, I say I’m a writer or game designer, because it takes a lot less explaining.

Tracey
    Participant

Thanks for the intro! I live in Lancaster . . .nice to have someone close by . . . Hope to hear from you lots.

irreverance
    Participant

Welcome Doug!

>> I’m possibly the least Presbyterian Presbyterian ever to live<<

Well, we might have to fight over that one. ;)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.