Reza Aslan, Zealot: The Life And Times Of Jesus Of Nazareth

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy Reza Aslan, Zealot: The Life And Times Of Jesus Of Nazareth

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cowboyjunkey cowboyjunkey 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cowboyjunkey
    cowboyjunkey
    Participant

I think Tapestry is my new favourite show on CBC.  I first heard of Reza from someone posting the Fox New interview.  I’ve gotta read the book now.  I think he articulates (in the Tapestry interview) so much of what I believe and where I come from. (If you want to download the mp3 rather than listen online you need to go to a separate page, for some strange reason I can’t figure out.)

One thing I found interesting was his comments about being a religion scholar.  When you are talking religion you are talking identity so you have to be careful.  I know this has come up in the forums about how to go about telling people or whether to even tell people what you now believe or don’t believe.

He also framed things well for me.  He said there’s a saying by the Buddha (I think that’s who he said it was) that when you go to dig a well you don’t dig 6 holes 1′ deep, you go and dig a 6′ hole.  You can’t expect to get water just going shallow.  Along these lines he referred to religions as languages.  You don’t need a religion but they are all ways that can help you articulate yourself and communicate to others.  When anyone goes deep enough in any religion you find they are all coming from the same source.  I guess to continue the analogy if you think of the 6 holes as major religions you’d conclude you’re all very different but if you dig deeper you’ll find you’re all connected to the same source.

Profile photo of agnosticbeliever
    AgnosticBeliever
    Participant

@CowboyJunkey It’s a great book. I am almost half-way through it and the way Reza brings to life that time period is amazing. You can almost hear the bustling of the crowds, hear the animals making noise, the smells. He talks a lot about income inequality which is relevant for our times. His basic premise is that Jesus’ spiritual message could not help but be intertwined with the political feelings of his day.

A lot of it also helps me understand Fundamentalism to some degree. The Jews did not want to pay tribute to Rome (in the form of taxes) and being this nation ruled by God. I don’t know if that was intentional but you’ll see. Highly highly recommend!

Profile photo of cowboyjunkey
    cowboyjunkey
    Participant

I think its now at the top of my reading list! I remember a Rob Bell Nooma video that openned my eyes to this.  He goes through the history, talks about how there were other messiahs, they had to be sons of god, etc.  I look forward to getting this book.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.