the most influential book in my life:

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy the most influential book in my life:

This topic contains 61 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David S David S 1 year ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 61 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’ve read the bible twice all the way thru. Once in college when I took a class on the bible as literature. And then many years later by doing Discipleship Bible Study, that was a 36 week class. It was very helpful being in a class with others as I would’ve ever had the discipline to complete it.

My favorite book of all time is a piece of fiction, but it’s such a great book about faith and belief. A Prayer for Owen Meany:

“I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice – not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother’s death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.”

Profile photo of David S
    David S
    Participant

Recently, at least, it would be Peter Rollins’ Idolatry of God.  Identifying certainty and satisfaction as idols really resonated with me, as did his embrace of relationships across boundaries.  Mystery and wonder emerge from relationships rather than being something external we discover or which discovers us.

Oh, and I really like Ender’s Game.  Empathy.

Viewing 2 posts - 61 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.