Weird thought about tithing and modern churches.

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church Weird thought about tithing and modern churches.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of thejadedfool thejadedfool 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ren
    Participant

I was just thinking to myself:

I think that we need to eliminate money from church life.

And then all churches (as we know them… the buildings… the meetings… the preachers… the clergy… blah, blah…)

…Would poof….

Well, mostly, I’m sure someone out there would be talking about their opinions on the life of Jesus and trying to get people to listen only to them.

But I think that if everyone literally did give all they had to the poor and totally skip business with money (giving it, organizing it, spending it, saving it, asking for it…), there would be no “church” as we know it and talk about it, now.”Church” requires money and a lot of it before it even starts to work on anything other than being “church”, with all of those buildings and bills and such.

What would happen if everyone just skipped that and got down to business?

Thoughts?

This is a random thought I had… feel free to pick apart XD

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I agree!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hmm. Interesting thought. I’m going to chew on that. Thanks.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

One of my biggest problems with the modern day church is its insistence on supporting the System by participating in capitalism and land ownership and payroll taxes. So I couldn’t agree more.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Renate – I totally agree with you!! The church has just become a huge juggernaut that requires more and more money just to keep it running. Meanwhile, there are people in those church’s very congregations who have real financial needs, but are for the most part ignored, because the church needs to keep their infrastructure and all their programs, pastor’s salaries, etc. paid for. I think it is a REAL SHAME and NOT something Jesus would do!!

I really do think more people in need would be helped if people just helped their neighbors and gave the money they would have given the church to people who really need it. That’s exactly what I have done since leaving the church – and I can tell you it is far more rewarding than paying the church’s light bill or rent! (Not that I do it for the reward.) It just gives you a good feeling when you can help someone else. Isn’t that what we’re here for? JEsus said to love God and love our neighbor as ourself. Nuff said cuz I could go on and on about this subject – but I’ll spare you guys!

My new year’s resolution was to write shorter, more to the point posts instead of the LONG-WINDED epistles I used to write. So far, I think I’m doing pretty good with that!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I would love to see that happen.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Amy – do you mean me writing shorter posts or what Renate said about eliminating money from church life? ha-ha! Just kidding.

Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

Ok… Are you saying that we should just be a group of people that love and support one another and then in turn take that love and support to the people in the world that need it most… Instead of funneling our time and resources in to maintaining huge expensive building, landscaped grounds, and holy amusement parks… and no more sunday morning fashion shows or bake sales for a new layer of blacktop on the parking lot?!?!?

That is just pure crazy talk you heretic!!

;-)

PS -BTW I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea! =)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.