- They loved Moses for taking them out of Egypt. They resented Moses for taking them out of Egypt.
- They loved Job because he was righteous. They corrected Job because he was righteous.
- They loved Samuel because he didn’t act like a king. They overlooked Samuel because he didn’t act like a king.
- They loved David because he ruled with his heart. They got exasperated with David because he ruled with his heart.
- They loved Jeremiah for prophesying to Israel. They stopped listening to Jeremiah for prophesying to Israel.
- They loved Jesus for his teaching. They crucified Jesus for his teaching.
- They loved Barnabas because he was an encourager. They were provoked by Barnabas because he encouraged Gentiles.
- They loved Mark because he had a mind of his own. They left Mark because he had a mind of his own.
- They loved Paul for planting churches. They ostracized Paul for planting his kind of churches.
- They loved you because of your inquisitiveness. They rejected you because of your inquisitiveness.
The very thing people love you for now is what they may very well hate you for later. Recently several people have told me that they missed my mind as their pastor. But it was my mind that got me in trouble with them! What at first they find endearing they later find annoying. You know exactly what I mean.
So what’s the key? Like all our heroes above, including you, you must persevere in who you know you are and what you must do.