2 Timothy 3:16

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy 2 Timothy 3:16

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SavageSoto
    SavageSoto
    Participant

I’m not sure why 2 timothy 3:16 is used to defend the Bible being the inerrant/infallible “Word of God” as if it just settles it so simply? That verse was written BEFORE the “Bible” as we know it today (in all its many forms) ever existed. So, for example, it doesn’t make much sense to apply it to the entire 66 books of the protestant canon that wouldn’t be in it’s current form for around 1000 years. Even if it could be somehow argued that it applies to whatever version of the Bible you want it to, it still doesn’t automatically make it true. Nor does it NOT being true mean the Bible contains no truth or wisdom at all, thats a false dichotomy.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Profile photo of SavageSoto SavageSoto.

Wade
    Participant

There is also some doubt that Paul even wrote that letter. :-)

Wade.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

God: the Supreme Being, perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe. The Big IT, or the Big Algebraic X (the unknown value). So when we say God, what do we mean? When we say, “God says” how do we know? I think “God says” is (possibly) one of the most dangerous statements ever.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Ya it is pretty certain that Paul didn’t write the pastoral epistles, but his followers later on after church discipline became more of an issue.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Savage & Wayne – WELL SAID! Thanks!!

Profile photo of agnosticbeliever
    AgnosticBeliever
    Participant

Reminds of how people use a verse in Revelations about not adding or taking away from the Bible…I always point out that the Bible is many books so it is likely referencing that books. I also learned that a common way to copyright one’s work and ensure it was copied in it’s entirety was to include a phrase such as that one.

Profile photo of al-cruise
    Al-Cruise
    Participant

I think the real problem is we exist,  and are aware of that fact and we can’t come to terms with it. So spend our time trying to figure out how and why, and our conclusions haven’t always been that beneficial for others.

Rob Lentz
    Participant

Good points!  I am growing so fond of this community for the openness to THINK and ASK valid questions.  TLS is a breath of fresh air.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

A friend says that the canonization of the books of the bible amounts to the “greatest miracle never actually recorded in the bible”. Ha! :-)

For me, I do believe these writings are very much inspired by God. But, I am in a journey right now to understand how differently, if any, that inspiration is compared to other inspiration. For example, I feel that I’ve read words and sentences from current authors that so powerfully build my faith. Isn’t that inspiration? I’m just not so sure that THE BOOK is actually finished.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.