2 Years and Counting

Blog Forums Reconstruction Atheism, Agnosticism & Science 2 Years and Counting

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

Tonight’s hangout made me appreciate this journey that I’m on.  I read this quote the day after I left religion:

I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings.  I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels.-Pearl S. Buck-

It’s just dawned on me that Easter Sunday marked 2 years since I officially “came out” as an atheist.  The last service I attended that wasn’t a wedding or baby dedication was Easter morning 2011.   I wasn’t even able to make it to the end.  I simply gathered my things mid-sermon and quietly walked away.  I’ve grown a lot since then.  My appreciation of those in my life and those I’m able to serve has come to the forefront like it never did when I was in the church.

Finding this community has reaffirmed my faith in the kindness of human beings.  We are all so different, yet those differences do not prevent us from being graceful.  That is something pretty amazing.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

@servantgirl I enjoyed the hangout and your participation. I too have really noticed the gentleness of the conversations here on TLS. People are responding with grace to one another, even within the diversity.

This is also the 2 year anniversary of my realizing that I couldn’t call myself a believer. My faith just kind of faded out. Two years earlier I had gone through a really bad church experience. At the time I was on a beta-blocker (metoprolol) for a heart condition. This medication had the side affect of causing brain fog. When I stopped taking it, my mind cleared, and I could think better. That’s when it dawned on me that I was involved in some kind of irrationality. What I had gone through did not make sense any more. Religion had made my life worse, not better. I saw that some Christians were in fact acting biblically, but that was not a good thing! These people were mostly consistent literalists but fundamentally unloving. So I faulted, not just the people but more so the sacred text upon which they were founded. Much of the biblical text is unclear and open to a diversity of interpretation. Loss of context and language/translation problems compound the issues.

So it’s two years and counting. I don’t call myself a believer nor do I call myself an atheist. Maybe a free thinker trying to make sense of it all. I feel drawn to critical thinking and the scientific method, areas in which I must do further research. I like your emphasis on loving self and others :)

servantgirl
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this Hugh.  Under normal circumstances I’d congratulate someone on having a 2 year anniversary, so congrats.  Nothing feels better than celebrating clarity.

I completely understand what it’s like to see clearly.  Unfortunately I can’t blame metoprolol or any other chemical factors for my blindness.  Most of the time I was the one turning a blind eye to things I knew were wrong with the church.  So desperate was I to not be right I ignored things that were glaringly wrong.

I call myself an atheist for the purest meaning of the word.  I simply do not believe in gods.  Anything else added or taken away from that label has been done so by society.  I’m not afraid to call myself an atheist for my sake, but because I don’t feel up to explaining to people why their ideas of me are wrong every time I bring it up.  The capsule they put atheists in does not being to hold all my diverse tastes and ideas.

I’m a quiet one, but I’m a wild one ;)

Profile photo of moxierocks
    moxierocks
    Participant

It’s 2 years for me, too..though I’m not exactly sure of the date that I realized. I think it’s amazing that even though I felt so alone, knowing that @servantgirl and @Hugh finished deconstructing religion (if you will) around the same time as I did..it’s so..encouraging after the fact! I mean, I have felt a connection to you, @servantgirl from day one…and I’ve known that I was definitely not the only one, even as it felt that way..(after all it is a very personal journey!) but I don’t know..for some reason it just kind of hit me just now…so cool!

servantgirl
    Participant

@moxierocks  I’m convinced it’s about finding clarity.  There are still things I have no clue about, but what I’m certain of is where I stand on religion.  I basically had a WTF am I during that Easter morning service.  Finding out that we’re not the only ones who struggled like that is both refreshing and validating.   We’re all on individual journeys, but having a community of fellow travelers does not take away from our individuality.  That’s something I found not to be true of my church community.  We were quite diverse, but were expected to all agree on the important things.  Not a healthy environment at all.

Profile photo of moxierocks
    moxierocks
    Participant

Indeed, it is about finding clarity..in my experience, I had to deconstruct the religion I was immersed in before I could see anything other than fear and confusion! (so I was basically blind, but at least I could finally tell that there were shapes and lights out there somewhere!) It really, really is validating and so refreshing to learn that we’re not the only ones to struggle to reach clarity. And I didn’t say so during the hangout last night, but you and @Richard each said a lot of what I was thinking in response to being asked if you have a sense of the spiritual. It amazes me how much I can LIVE, even in my seemingly uninteresting little corner of the world, whereas before I was constantly reminding myself that this is only temporary and that any small joys I have in this life will be nothing in comparison to the “reward” for avoiding the glitz and glamour of this world, or at least not indulging..And now I don’t even think about it! I just live, and the small joys seem so BIG..and people are PEOPLE..and it’s just so much more BEAUTIFUL!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I love this quote and the idea of gentleness and grace.  It’s been years since I attended church regularly – probably about 15.  But I would still go on holidays like Christmas and Easter until about 4 years ago.  Then even that seemed so false to me I couldn’t do it anymore.  There is another quote I like that “life is not about the destination, but the journey”.  I love the journey.  I remember as a kid I would just go out with my dog and wander in the woods around my home.  We would be out all afternoon just seeing what was over the next little hill or around this big bush and then head home for supper.  I find life is like this for me now, in a less literal way.  I’m wandering through it, exploring, experiencing, and enjoying.  Without the confines of church and religion I can breathe in the world and life around me.  I can enjoy it and find my way day by day.

I’ve had more guilt and grief since having kids and worrying about teaching them.  I thought I had to start attending church regularly to give them a grounding in God.  I had relatives telling me that it was my duty to protect their eternal souls.  It caused me a lot of distress to think I could be putting their souls at risk and causing them some sort of damage by not towing the “good Christian” line.  But coming here and hearing the other stories is allowing me to get back on my own journey and to set aside that guilt and fear-mongering.  Now my journey includes my kids: fellow explorers on this wandering journey.  By setting an example of compassion, understanding, openness, confusion, and exploration hopefully they’ll find their way too when they get older.  For now, they can tag along with me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.