Are we (human beings) just beginning to wake up?

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy Are we (human beings) just beginning to wake up?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of hagere hagere 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hagere
    hagere
    Participant

Why is it that the theory of Rene Girard has not been discovered by others for the last 2000 years while societies, empires, countries, communities and churches and so on have all been operating under what he calls the “scapegoat mechanism” for so long?

Are we (human beings) just beginning to wake up or something?

What do you think?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Profile photo of hagere hagere.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Profile photo of hagere hagere.
    Profile photo of SavageSoto
    SavageSoto
    Participant

What exactly is the theory of Rene Girard in summary? As to humanity waking up, there are many that would propose that as being the case and I would like to think so. Honestly though, I think we would first have to define what ‘waking up’ actually means and point to what evidence there is that the mass of humanity is leaning towards this “awakening”?

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I love Girard. Especially “I Saw Satan Falling Like Lightening”. Amazing stuff. I know @hagere has read him too.

Profile photo of hagere
    hagere
    Participant

The theory is that human beings have mimetic desires; since we all tend to imitate one another in terms of desiring or acquiring objects that others desire or have. This eventually  result in rivalry and conflicts over our attempts to obtain the same object.

As Girard noted, one way people try to resolve rivalry among themselves is to find a scapegoat who is considered an outsider;  who does not fit in well in their community  in order to re-establish the unity that is being threatened by their own internal conflicts.

However, even after they are united in getting rid of the scapegoat, their unity is only temporary as they will again experience rivalry and conflict among themselves; and it  won’t be too long before they start  to find a new scapegoat. The scapegoat mechanism can be found in most communities, families, workplaces, churches, institutions, politics, etc.

As for “waking up”, I think I was kind of using the word loosely.

I am just wondering why the resurgence of his theory is happening now.
    Are we (humans) just starting to ‘see’ violence & hatred for what they are?
    Maybe I am missing something.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.