Bach …..aahhhhh :)

Blog Forums Reconstruction Living Creatively Bach …..aahhhhh :)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I learnt to the play the piano fairly late aged 14 (normally need to start around 5 or 6), and studied it hard, then hardly touched it for 30 years.

I suffered some kind of breakdown in August 2010 and I returned to playing the piano – especially my beloved Bach.

Below is a link to me playing one of my favourite Bach pieces to some of my own photies :)     ….there is such healing in music and it has done a lot for me to revive my skill as a pianist, and I have my first wedding booked in February 2014 God willing :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151845357248363

(sorry for poor quality of pictures – for some reason they went into panoramic mode).

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Wow lovely. Thanks for posting.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow! Hearing you play may have inspired me to dig out some of my classical music to see if I can still play any of it. Seems like I have played the piano most of my life. I took 4 years of piano lessons (3rd – 7th grade I think?) and one semester in college. I sight-read music very well and have taught piano lessons to beginners. I used to play piano at church (before all the praise bands took over). Over the years I gravitated to playing mostly worship and praise music at home since I couldn’t play keyboard at church since I don’t play by ear.  But I haven’t played the piano much at all since I left the church two years ago. Perhaps hearing you play that Bach piece (really well I might add!) will jump start an interest in playing again.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Beautiful playing!  An old friend of mine began taking lessons because of his admiration for both Bach and Glenn Gould.  I haven’t spoken to him in years so I don’t know what sort of progress he’s made.  I didn’t make it past the first year of lessons when I started at age 5 due to a rather “traumatic” experience involving my first recital.  I envy those who play the piano well!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you all.  Jo –  oh DO rework some of your pieces, it is amazing how the brain retains the essential information, you will find it very rewarding.  However I had to have an incentive – music is for sharing so I play at three  National  Trust properties each week as a volunteer house pianist and this gives me the incentive I need, otherwise I wouldn’t bother to play or practice.

Christopher – how sad you had a bad experience at such a tender age.  a teacher should have helped you through that – everyone makes mistakes in music , even some professionals  do, and I have learnt to play through my mistakes without them phasing me too much.    Even great masters like  Horowitz got things wrong.  Anyway I hope your friend has made progress and was inspired by Glenn Gould – who himself despised the concert platform and preferred the comfort of recording :)

….however unfortunately I have to do my recording in one take!   ……..though professionals can have the luxury of having goes several goes.

Rob Lentz
    Participant

part of my deconstruction was to do something positive for me…an indulgence, sort of.  So i started running as a way to think through my spiraling thoughts.  then I started taking viola lessons with my daughter (who had already started violin some months prior).  the thing i realized was how much time my church got from me each week.  sometimes i still feel guilty for enjoying my time…how messed up is that theology?!  lol…  my wife and I have a saying that we toss around to remind ourselves how life is short and should be enjoyed.  it’s “wear the dress”.  in other words… it doesn’t matter what others think, do what brings you joy.  Good for you!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thank you Rob – yes, ditto!  I have had to take time to nurture myself through my breakdown and I discovered my religious activities were all very depleting, and my music certainly has brought me joy and made me very happy :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.