Book Recommendation

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy Book Recommendation

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Shira C
    Shira C
    Participant

I’m reading an excellent book that folks here might enjoy:
    Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road?: Christian Identity in a Multi-Faith World by Brian D. McLaren
    Here’s a representative quote that I enjoyed today:

All of us are poised between two dangers. The obvious one is “The Other.” The subtle one is “Us.” If we defend ourselves against the Other, if we attack the Other, we gain credibility with “Us.” We show that we are loyal, supportive, believers, members of Us, and we are generously rewarded and affirmed. We gain a lot by attacking the Other — in religious circles as well as political ones.

Ironically, Us can be as great a threat to each of us as the other is, probably greater. Us might withdraw its approval of me. It might label me disloyal, unsupportive, unbeliever, unorthodox, liberal, anathema, etc. To be rebuked, marginalized, or excluded by Us is an even greater threat than to be attacked by the Other.

I think he has described an important dynamic right there!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  David Hayward.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of debbiedarline
    debbiedarline
    Participant

Shira – I’ll bet there are quite a few of us on this site that enjoy reading books by the same authors. I have also recently heard about this book by Brian McLaren and thought it sounded very interesting.  I really like the part that you quoted, because it makes me think again how often I have carefully weighed my words for fear of being excluded in church circles. I’ve become more brave over time, but then I worry that my honesty will damage someone else’s carefully crafted Christianity.

Profile photo of Shira C
    Shira C
    Participant

Hi, debbiedarline! That is such a good observation. Part of being within a community (the good part, generally) is supporting others, and silence can be a supportive choice sometimes. I need to remember that more often!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Great quote. Float that quote. I think this almost prophetic of most of our spiritual crisis. Many of us, especially me haven’t really come out. We’re hiding out in safe places like this hoping not to have to confront US.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Here’s a uTube clip that is the very US that McLaren refers to.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.