Can "God" be imperfect?

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy Can "God" be imperfect?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Derek 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

CeciliaDavidson
    Participant

The question I should be asking is – should we allow the deity many people worship to be imperfect? After all, theologians of old state that “God” is the most perfect thing out there, but there’s a weakness in saying “most perfect.” That’s like saying someone’s the tallest person in Regina, but there’s still room for someone to be taller.

At the same time, I have to ask if we have put too much stress on this deity for them to do things right. We pray that “God” deals with our needs, but we also settle if things go to shit. To me, this feels like we accept something like God possibly being fickle – or unable – in some of our requests.

irreverance
    Participant

I guess it would depend on what you mean by “perfect”. In my mind, the “perfect” human being would be flawed, by definition. Maybe another way to ask this question is to say: Can God grow?

CeciliaDavidson
    Participant

Fair enough, Irrev Irrun.

Derek
    Participant

I still believe in God. I think of God as “perfect,” but perhaps not as having “control” over everything. I believe in Jesus still, I think, but I don’t feel the need to believe Jesus was perfect.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.