"Celebrating negativity"

Blog Forums Introductions Chit Chat "Celebrating negativity"

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Helene
    Participant

I thought I would share about a book launch I went to recently by Oliver Burkeman, a Guardian journalist. He seems to be a prolific writer with a brain as big as a planet. Respect. His recent book, “The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can’t Stand Positive Thinking” struck a chord with me. I’m finding it liberating, and I always thought stoicism kinda cool.

Anyhow, here’s his website http://www.oliverburkeman.com/

For a joke I unsuccessfully tried to get him to sign my other book I’d purchased that day, “What colour is your parachute 2013 version”. haaa !

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sounds like a great book – thanks for suggesting it! I went to Oliver’s website and read several of his blogs. Wow!  He is an incredibly brilliant, articulate, and funny writer!

I’M DEFINITELY AN OLIVER BURKEMAN FAN NOW!

Helene
    Participant

Ja, I’m really into his take on the self-help brigade. Did you read his topic on The Helsinki Bus Station Theory of Creativity? As someone who catches metaphorical taxis everywhere, I loved it. He reminds me of Alain de Botton somehow, maybe it’s just a physical resemblance. Philosophy is the new sexy. And he’s definitely an ENFP. I swear, the man mustn’t sleep. How come it seems all the genuis/ability/charisma/erudite skills aren’t parcelled around but one person seems to get it all????

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes, I did read the blog on The Helsinki Bus Station Theory. Loved it – especially the part about “just stay on the fucking bus!”

If it’s any consolation, I didn’t get any of those genuis/charisma skills either – ha!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

that was a cool and interesting read

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.