First world problems – dealing with parents

Blog Forums Deconstruction Family & Friends First world problems – dealing with parents

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ruth Anne Ruth Anne 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vinny
    Vinny
    Participant

So, we’ll be heading down soon to have christmas with my family and we’ll be there a week.  They don’t know yet that we’ve dumped our old church and haven’t glommed on to any other since.  I’m sure the subject will come up eventually, and I know my mom was already troubled when my older brother and his family stopped attending church.  Have any of you had this conversation with parents?  How did it go?

Suggestions are welcome.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Wow. Big question. I usually advise, if people push for advice, to just say, “Things weren’t working out well. We just needed a break.” But if someone REALLY wants to know and seems genuine, then I give them the full meal.

Profile photo of Ruth Anne
    Ruth Anne
    Participant

I’m with David on this one Vinny. “We are regrouping” might work. They really don’t need to know. Spirituality is a journey and if they view it as a destination they will get all flipped out that their children and grandchildren are going straight to hell. I live 3 miles from my folks and the truth is, I keep what I do on Sunday’s very vague. They don’t ask, I don’t tell.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.