Free Will and Choices According to God

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church Free Will and Choices According to God

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

Goodness, I think this gave me flashback….

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It would have been perfect if they added the chosen pre-destined bit in. It’s totally up to you, but I already know what your answer will be.

Profile photo of JeffPrideaux
    JeffPrideaux
    Participant

I love that non-stamp collector.  He says it pretty much the way it is.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Excuse me while I PUKE!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This topic has been weighing heavily on me this week. Why should it matter what people believe as long as they are basically good people? There are many people of other religions and atheists who are more moral and compassionate than many Christians will ever be. But on the other hand, I am uneasy with the belief that everyone goes to heaven, including people like Hitler and child abusers, people who did great evil, never repented, and received little to no punishment on earth for their actions. Or people who repented on their deathbed. It would be completely unjust to let these people off the hook. But then there would have to be some arbitrary line between what is “forgivable” and what is not, how many murders or assaults it would take to disqualify someone, not to mention less obvious evil actions like emotional abuse.  And many “evil” people were victims themselves, which doesn’t let them off the hook for what they did, but is worth remembering.

But even for people who have committed unimaginable atrocities, an ETERNITY of torture still seems a bit excessive. I can see why the idea of purgatory has been popular.

There are also people who believe hell is not eternal, that after judgment day, the souls of non-believers will just cease to exist. This idea is easier to swallow than the idea of eternal torture, but it’s still not fair for people who just happened to believe the “wrong” thing but were great people.

I also feel uncomfortable with the belief that there is nothing after death, especially when people die young or suffer terribly their entire life. Although it is nice to believe they are no longer suffering. When my aunt committed suicide several years ago, I wished desperately that I was an atheist so I could believe she was no longer suffering instead of being tortured in hell. Later on, I found out she was most likely a Christian, and then I was really angry because all the agony I had felt about her being in hell could have been avoided.

But even people who live to be old, one life just doesn’t seem like enough, and I would be terrified of death. On the plus side, if people believed this, they might not waste their life as much and care more about social justice. But it just doesn’t seem like enough.

I realize my feelings have nothing to do with the reality of whatever happens after death, but that is how I feel. :)

Profile photo of JeffPrideaux
    JeffPrideaux
    Participant

I say live your life as if this is the only life and strive for social justice and meaning.  As a plus, you can always hope there is life after death, but don’t discriminate based on what people believe about that and don’t put to much stock in what others have to say about it.

robink
    Participant

I hate the “free will” excuse.  If Hell is real, then free will is a curse.  If Hell is real, then life is a game of torture.  If Hell is real and this version of “free will” is real, then it would be better to never have children/never exist/never try to think for yourself.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I believe in Free Willy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.