Hello From Sacramento, CA.

Blog Forums Introductions Meet & Greet Hello From Sacramento, CA.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Well I’ve been on the journey outside of organized religion, deconstructing and reconstructing for about 8 years now. I was born in the City of Sacramento, CA and have lived, except for one year, lived somewhere in Sacramento County all my 50 years.

I’m a former AssOfGod ordained minister, but as a child I was baptized Episcopalian, because that is what my father was baptized. He didn’t actually practice a religion, nevertheless in many significant ways he was more Yeshua like than any of the Pastors I had in evangelical churches. I actually started my faith journey in at a private “Christian School” in Junior High at age 14. It was operated by a Church that was part of the Independent Fundamental Bible Churches of America. Nevertheless I was never a one  of them – even at my young age I regularly asked the Pastor why does this church teach XYZ, but the Bible says. You say after “getting saved” in a school chapel service I started reading the Bible voraciously.  I’d especially question him with the passages that spoke about spiritual gifts and miracles signs and wonders. He would always answer well we are not in that dispensation and foolish me I say where does the Bible say that. Damn me for questioning authorities. Just writing that made me chuckle at the memory.

The thing is I did the same thing in every church I was part of including the AssOfGod, but on different topics. I don’t know much about my Father’s side of the family except that they are at least part Irish and his family is not very close at all. On my mother’s side, now they are Irish and Irish Catholics at that on both their mothers and fathers face. They couldn’t be closer and my nana and pop were adorned by everyone. My mother had 6 sisters and 3 brothers – she was the third oldest.

We, I mean my mother’s side of the family, as they are who I’ve always identified with, are very much into our Celtic Heritage. St. Patrick’s day is always the family reunion at my uncles Irish Pub here in Sacramento.

For the past 30 years I’ve been an avid fly fisherman and fly tyer.  I am also passionate about slow smoking meat, drinking Irish and local Micro-brew beers, my family, and spirituality. I’m now a NONCONFORMING & UNORTHODOX Jesus lover (Christian if you must) that has escaped organized religion to discover a genuine relationship with Divine Love minus obligation, conformity, performance, religious traditions, or dogma.

I’ve also just since last week re-entered the blogosphere by starting a new blog after a 3 year hiatus by at http://www.unboxedgod.com. I’m not taking the blog or myself too seriously this time and do not plan on making new posts at regular intervals, but just when I have a passion to sharehing somet.

Surprising believe in or not as long as this is I’ve left a lot out. ;-)

-Tom

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Welcome Tom!! I have to laugh at AssOfGod!! How appropriate! I think Jesus would have no problem saying “Kiss My Ass” (or even Kiss My Holy Ass!) to legalistic, fundamentalist, Evangelical Christians!! A lot of us here have only been deconstructing for a few years, so I want to hear more from you since you’ve been at this for 8 years! I’d love it if you could give us the short version of some of the things you’ve learned about this whole process. But no pressure. Really. Glad to have you here!

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Welcome Tom. I love the AssOfGod name as well. Gave me a good chuckle. thanks

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Welcome Tom!  First off, it’s cool that you are from Sacramento.  i want to go there again. We have only been once for a Giant’s game, but it was literally a day trip where that’s all we did.  My husband was a pastor for 4 years in Porterville, CA, so we can relate to the emotional upheaval of leaving the ministry.  We totally left the church too.

My husband, Charles is also a member and he is Irish so he loves Irish beer. :)

Talk with you again later!

Kellie

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Jo White you asked that I share a bit about my 8 years of deconsctucting so instead of writing about it here on TLS, because I think it could benefit I have written an article on my blog at http://unboxedgod.com/?p=46

I hope everyone checks it out and leave comments.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Tom – thanks for the link to your blog. I couldn’t agree more with everything you said! Right On. Thank!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.