I didn't think I could feel an emotion stronger than grief today…

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy I didn't think I could feel an emotion stronger than grief today…

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Crysti Crysti 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

…yet here I find myself enraged.  I watched this video earlier today and I find myself examining my personal resolve to not despise or hate anyone.  I am ever so thankful that I know Christians both here and in my personal life that would never use a moment of unfathomable grief as a platform.  I rarely examine my motives, but I had ensure that the rage this makes me feel is not about my atheism.  It’s not.  It’s about this man being an abhorrent human being.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It’s so sad and it’s really diverting too many emotionally upset people to think about this twisted way of looking at things.  It’s a classic media manipulation.  He’s ruthless.  I bet he’s popular with about 25 % of the republican party.  He has that look and message sound.  We have to out love this kind of attack on us. We have to meet this man’s call for a theocracy and say no in a loving way. What can we say to these poor souls who have gone down this bizarre road with him?  Come on back, try.  We need to be sowing seeds of love more now than ever, not seeds of discrimination and negativity.  How can we get this message to the church?  How can we help those people following leaders like this man?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

First let me make it clear that I am NOT defending this man’s words or actions in ANY way!

However, since we are all created in God’s image, I don’t believe anyone is an abhorrent human being, including this man. What is abhorrent is his twisted theology and his judgmental, hurtful words and actions. I’m sure in his mind, he honestly believes what he is saying is the truth.  Unfortunately, he is just one more incredibly brainwashed, confused self-righteous Pharisee who is totally unaware and oblivious that his beliefs, words, and actions are a completely horrible misrepresentation of the God he claims to know and love.

I agree it is a huge tragedy that he is voicing those kind of outrageous lies which hurt people who are already in excruciating emotional pain! But someday that man will know just how wrong and how devastating his theology, words, and actions really were.  And he will be horrified and truly grieved by the damaging things he said and did. (As will every toxic family member and friend who has hurt any of us!) And then, God in His unconditional love will extend grace to this man (and our loved ones) just as He extends grace to EVERYONE.

I am as surprised by my words as some of you may be.  I guess I am able to have empathy for this man because it wasn’t that long ago that I believed many of those same kind of twisted lies and distortions myself.  And like him, I really did have the best of intentions at the time. I am just grateful I finally saw the light and I guess that is why I insist on extending grace to this man. I just really believe that God can and will (in the end), redeem ALL people and ALL situations – no matter how wicked. (That doesn’t mean God won’t hold them accountable for their hurtful words and actions first though!)

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Let all mortal flesh keep silence.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m kind of wishing I had kept silent. I know I’m entitled to express my opinion/feelings (which I did), but other people are just as entitled to their opinions and feelings of rage, righteous anger, disgust, etc. over what this man said. I just hope nobody thought I was preaching at them or saying they ought to have the same reaction I did.  If I offended anyone, I sincerely apologize!

servantgirl
    Participant

Jo White, I hear your apology and I wholeheartedly reject it – because it’s not necessary.  If this site, this community becomes a place where we’re not able to express our feelings, regardless of it not aligning with others, then I no longer want to be a part of it.   I see no need for you to apologize :)

I probably should have prefaced that video with the fact that Bryan Fischer has a disgusting track record of turning moments of tragedy and pain into platforms for his message.  He hosts a Christian radio talk show that is aired nationally and internationally.   I’m not a big fan of Pat Robertson, yet I’ve been able to find redeemable qualities in him that I’ve not seen in Fischer.

I was a Christian for over 30 years.   The last few years of my walk was spent in service to those  Fischer has repeatedly shown absolutely no grace.  I’ve disliked him long before I stopped believing in God.   I don’t hate him though; I don’t hate anyone.  However, after listening to him speak for years, I could understand how one could grow to hate.   He has repeatedly used the name of his religion and his God to shit on everything and everyone I love, without exception.  Note I’m saying “his” religion.  If there is a group of people, a disaster, or a tragedy that he can exploit to push hate – because I can’t think of anything else to call his message, he will use them without regard.  I understand what you’re saying, but his track record does not lead me to believe that his day of enlightenment will become a reality.  I’m usually hopelessly optimistic, but I can’t seem to get there with him.

I don’t believe in God, or an afterlife where people like Fischer will have to answer for the pain they inflict on this earth.   I cannot forgive nor overlook hurt caused in the name of anything, be it from an asshole non-theist or theist.   While I could grow to hate him, I won’t for my spiritual well being.

The issue I have with the Bryan Fischers or the world is that theologians with voices as loud as theirs NEVER talk out against them.  His message is far reaching.  There are those who have equal, if not greater reach, who have allowed him to continue on this path for years.  Regardless of the side of religion I stand on, I just can’t find an for excuse that.

So once again it all comes down to grace.  I’ll never forget the words of the prostitute in Philip Yancey’s, “What’s So Amazing About Grace?”  When asked why she didn’t turn to the church for help she replied, “Church!  Why would I ever go there?  I was already feeling terrible about myself.  They’d just make me feel worse.”   When people like Fischer go unchecked, it diminishes the work of those who are loving, tolerant, and accepting.   Why would anyone want to go to a church after hearing messages like his?  Fischer is a man without grace; a terrible thing to be without regardless of your faith or lack of belief.

Profile photo of Ruth Anne
    Ruth Anne
    Participant

I couldn’t get through more than 14 seconds of the video and I wanted to puke. You are all right on…. I saw some people post his words on FB as if they were so clever. so sad….

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I posted on facebook yesterday that theologians should keep quiet for 10 days following a tragedy. This is what happened with my personal and nakedpastor page: a total of 577 likes and over 100 comments and shares. Many of them chastising me. That doesn’t count the personal hate mail I received as well. We live in a strange world!

servantgirl
    Participant

David I saw your post and I expected a backlash, but not some of the viciousness posted.   I think it has to do with you not adding a qualifier.  There are some theologians out there who have not been assholes during times of tragedy.  However there are those, like Fischer stating why God didn’t show up at that school or Pat Robertson claiming God devastated Haiti because they made a pact with the Devil, that should NEVER speak!

I used to have a wonderful pastor who comforted me through some really tough times.  He’s still one of my closest friends and able to comfort me now without any traces of religion.  He is a decent human being, something that transcends faith.  I believe that there are many theologians that should remain silent during times of tragedy,  but not all.

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

This is all designed to address that prayer in schools would prevent this.  I guess god wasn’t listening to all the silent prayers.  He has gotten so hard of hearing that he can only hear prayers spoken out loud.

Maybe this will help shift the emotion of things around this.

I don’t usually refer to Russell Brand, but this is one of the best interviews of the Westboro Baptist Church that I have seen…

http://youtu.be/2JAErHl7lZ4

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I shared that a week or so ago on facebook. I thought it was excellent. It really does show the problem in just a few minutes.

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

Westboro Baptist Church announced that it will picket a vigil for the Sandy Hook victims.  It’s message is the same Fischer’s.  That this happened because god either passively allowed it or caused it directly.  The difference is the hacktivist group Annonymous hacked their web site and published the personal information of all the members of the Westboro Church.  They also took down their site and their twitter account.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/westboro-baptist-church-hacked-anonymous-protest-newtown-shooting-victims-funerals_n_2315070.html

Profile photo of Ruth Anne
    Ruth Anne
    Participant

Well I know which ones in this video I would make MY friends…. :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Me too Ruth Anne!

Richard – Thanks for the interview with the 2 guys from Westboro church and the link to sign the petition for Westboro to lose their tax exempt status. I didn’t hesitate to sign it!

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

Since the other link was taken down.  Here is a so called official link to the video.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.