I don't know if I fit in

Blog Forums Introductions Chit Chat I don't know if I fit in

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Gerrard
    Participant

This post isn’t meant to be some sort of “im leaving” thing; I am sticking around and enjoying reading here and there.

I am basically unable to apply myself emotionally or theologically or resonate with a lot of the threads made on this forums.

I feel no connection to the church whatsoever or any line of thought that has to do with a lot of the thoughts expressed in these forums.

I think you people are amazing and would love to find a place in here – but its hard for me to find anywhere I can stick my toe in.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

I hear you Gerrard. I lurk a lot these days in forums and on the facebook page. Mostly I don’t have much to say that I think would add anything. There are a lot of folks who just watch from the sidelines!

Gerrard
    Participant

This place is awesome though. I like action though and discussion. It’s hard for me to sit on the sidelines.

I’m enjoying the facebook group though.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I understand your position.  I’m still pretty new – just paid my second month’s dues – but I’ve tried diving right in both here on the forum and especially in the FB group.  I think a lot of people in our little group struggle to feel relevant because our dispositions have been repressed for so long.  Sometimes it can be difficult to speak up when you don’t know whether you should trust your own voice.  And, of course, many of us have a natural anxiety of causing offense because we’ve been led to believe that our opinions are offensive.  I’ve come to see our group as extremely tolerant and open-minded.  I think you’ll be surprised at how welcome your opinions really are.

Profile photo of Schroedingers-Cat
    Schroedingers-Cat
    Participant

I am involved in another discussion forum, where there are a number of members who are not very active, but like to have the place available for when they need it. I have mentioned a couple of times there that they are welcome to post daily contributions, or not post for 2 years, and then just say “FUCK THIS”. Because that is what some people need.

I think TLS is similar, in some ways. If you find the community of other people chatting something positive for you, then it might be helpful to stick around. There might come times when you want or need to explore some area or aspect with the people here. Or just get some support for others who might have a clue how you feel.

Having said that, if it does not work for you, then maybe you need to find other places. I don’t think we want to be like a church, demanding that you stay, because otherwise you are cast into the outer darkness. TLS is not the right forum for everyone, even those who might seem to be natural participants.

Profile photo of agnosticbeliever
    AgnosticBeliever
    Participant

Stick around Gerrard. Although I grew up with parents who were not very religious and always challenged what I was learning in Catholic school, my experience is very different than many here. But it is interesting and always good to hear different perspectives. I think many of us naturally feel like misfits.

Profile photo of SavageSoto
    SavageSoto
    Participant

DO NOT FORSAKE THE ASSEMBLY, GERRARD!

But seriously, I know how you feel. I’m glad this group is growing but the bigger it gets the harder it seems to keep up with and find conversations that I feel I can give any input on. It’s what it is though.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I wasn’t able to access the TLS website for about three weeks so I am really behind on all the new forum posts. This community is definitely growing and changing – but it always remains respectful of people’s ideas and beliefs (or non-beliefs.) I hope you will throw some ideas out there for us to chew on from time to time. It’s the people with views different from mine that cause me to stop and think and consider other alternatives, so I appreciate people like you Gerrard!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.