Introduction to Astronomy

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy Introduction to Astronomy

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  R2 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of hagere
    hagere
    Participant

Hello everybody,

A number of people  signing up for free online education Course, and among the upcoming free online courses, there is one called “Introduction to Astronomy” which will be conducted online  by Duke University from Nov 27 onwards for 12 weeks. I am planning to sign up for it.  Here’s sharing the website with you guys  as you might be interested to sign up too. https://www.coursera.org/course/introastro

According to the website, it is recommended that students have some basic knowledge of high school algebra, among other things. I myself have forgotten a number of things I learned  about mathematics in secondary school, but I suppose I can still give it a try and hopefully relearn some concepts along the way, even as I study more about the universe.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

hagere, I have forwarded this information to someone who might be interested. I would be too but unfortunately the thougt of algebra again brings me out in a cold sweat. If only school could have been more practical and introduced algebra for astronomy to us…

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

My husband was into astronomy.  We had two telescopes.  One of them was huge.  I didn’t know anything about it except I loved looking at the things he found.  He had a camera hooked up to the telescope hooked up to the computer.  I can’t explain how all that worked.   I enjoyed getting to view all the fun things.  He use to explore finding gas formations and dust clouds.  And he would laugh at me because I just wanted to look at the moon before he shut down.  Those were fun times.

And he did use all kinds of calculations in locating things.  I hope you enjoy the course.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 12 months ago by Profile photo of Ang Ang.

R2
    Participant

Holy cow this is cool. Duke is a very expensive university, and this is free.  I am trying to decide if I want to commit the time to it amongst my bazillion other interests.  My daughter is into astronomy – will forward this to her also.  Thanks, hagere!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.