Living without the highs

Blog Forums Deconstruction Trying to Move On Living without the highs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Danielle 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Danielle
    Participant

The church was constantly telling us not to live only for the spiritual highs, yet was constantly creating those (rousing music, sweeping language, calls for action…)
    It’s interesting for me to realise now that some people don’t constantly live with those highs. And I wonder what it has done to my psyche.

Andreas
    Participant

I recognize that same pattern. Another example would be regarding conferences, being told that we shouldn’t live “from conference to conference” implying that the time in between is just as important. Still they arranged these huge conferences evenly throughout the year and everybody got excited about them.

It’s really, really strange but it’s a pattern I saw here and there – not too much, not too little. Getting people anxious about finding just the right amount in the fear of “creating an idol.”

It was such a turning point for me to discover other traditions, Catholic and Orthodox, and the importance of silence they see in the worship of God. It actually helps one to come back down to “reality,” to what is.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Andreas.

Wade
    Participant

I find my spiritual highs in other places, now. They are a bit less often but also quite different now that I’m wiccaan.

I think the church-created highs are a bit relentless, actually, especially the ones from the weekly services. Things like conferences and camps are higher highs, in a way.

Wade.

Danielle
    Participant

I agree about the different types of highs. I found it hard to live in the constant state of devotion/fanaticism, which is another form of a high. I felt I had to get down from that type of high every now and then, and then I felt guilty for “backsliding”.
    I used to see the less charismatic churches as frozen and not on fire for God, but I think there is value in quiet contemplation/meditation. Whenever I feel like going to a church now, it’s one of those.
    I have also found value in studying Judaism – to me, it seems like a sane-er practice at the moment. I know my mother found great release when she studied both Judaism and Catholicism, but I haven’t looked at the latter yet.
    My boyfriend is from the Dutch Reformed tradition, and I can see how the different type of theology has had a different impact on him.
    I’m trying to figure it out… in the meantime, I’m reading a lot of Carol Joyce Oates novels – she seems to have this uncanny ability to write about the difference that slightly different theologies has on the psyche :)

Danielle
    Participant

Wade, how do you find your spiritual highs now? I’m just enjoying trying to be on an even plane now… not a feeling I’m used to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.