My first TLS Local!

Blog Forums Introductions TLS Meetups My first TLS Local!

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I just had our first TLS Local meeting Thursday night, May 15, at our local library. There were 8 of us. Apparently it went very well. I was quite nervous, but now that I’ve broken the dam, there’s no stopping me!

irreverance
    Participant

Awesome! So, what happened? Was it a presentation or discussion?

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Both. When I teach I keep it open for discussion and questions. Dialogical. Fun!

Profile photo of McBeth
    McBeth
    Participant

Ha…just posted in another place about this. I am interested in the same and would love to hear the nitty gritty, David.

Specifically…How did you gather these people? I have cut off most of my connections and have no clue about where to start to find like minded people interested in this type of dialogue.

Is it for a specific type of seeker….or topic??

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

irreverance
    Participant

I would like to know how the initial connections were made, too. I think expanding TLS into local, face-to-face, self-organizing groups would rock.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

David! In your weekly letter today, you said the following: “I’ve organized some local TLS events… The turnout has been meagre… Should I continue trying?… Am I trying to revive my church experience or resurrect my pastoral vocation?…”

Here is my response:
    (1) You said in this forum that there were eight of you. I would not worry about that being meagre. Eight is a perfect number of people to start with and have real participation! If this event meets a need, it will undoubtedly grow. I wish I had seven people to meet with. I live in Orangeburg, South Carolina and wish I could find some TLSers.
    (2) Yes! You should continue trying!
    (3) Do NOT worry about trying to revive a church experience. What was, and still can be, good about church is experiencing community with people that have a common interest and passion. However, the “church” does not OWN that experience that humans crave and that is so meaningful. It can happen anywhere. You are forming a group that has a different common interest and passion than the typical church. Maybe it is “non” church; maybe it is “new” church; it doesn’t matter. Go with what is meaningful and helpful for the group in the spirit of TLS. You also said “I really do think the Church and Christianity is morphing into something that looks nothing like what it came from” Yes! And that is just what you are doing! Go with it!
    BobSC

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Wow! Thanks so much for this Bobsc!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Well… some people I know from the last church I pastored here. Only a few of them would come though. The rest I publicized through facebook and asked people to share with local friends. Don’t worry guys… I’ll keep you informed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.