Mystic Atheism

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of agnosticbeliever AgnosticBeliever 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

Here is a link to an interesting personal essay on how mysticism might be expressed within atheism.

Mystic Atheism

I thought this section on his encounter with god to be quite interesting.

I found a quiet place and put myself in the proper frame of mind. I reached out and invited God into my life. I felt what I took to be God’s presence. I asked if I was speaking with God. I got the answer “Yes”. I asked how I could know it was really God. I knew, in a way that those of you who haven’t had a similar experience just can’t understand. I asked if He was my Creator. I got the answer “Yes”. I asked if the creation account in the Bible was correct. Have you ever heard God laugh? I did. It was a deep, good-natured laugh that made it clear that the Bible was not correct in this regard. I asked if evolution was correct. The answer was something like “It’s closer” or “in part”. I asked if he was a figment of my imagination, or part of my sub-conscious. The answer was “No”. I asked if He existed. He said “No.” Thinking I might know the answer to this paradox I asked if I should believe in him anyway. He said “No”, not the answer I expected.
    You may think I’m joking, or mocking those who claim to talk with God, or trying to make a point but I’m being completely serious, and as genuine as I can be. I was there, in the presence of what was undeniably God being told by God that there was no God, and that I should not believe in Him.

robink
    Participant

wow.  I would get it if the person was trying to say that they aren’t a theist anymore, but see God as a sort of Ground of Being.  But I don’t know if I can wrap my head around acknowledging you are talking with God, but God telling you he doesn’t exist.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I’ve done cartoons on this very thing! Thanks Richard.

Ren
    Participant

I’ve had things like that too, but I convinced myself that I was making up all the answers because someone who was talking to me wouldn’t say they didn’t exist, would they? @_@  Totally messed with my head…

Profile photo of agnosticbeliever
    AgnosticBeliever
    Participant

Interesting story. I guess the thing for me is how do we really know the voice in our head is God?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.