Short Intervew with Bishop John Spong

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church Short Intervew with Bishop John Spong

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Saw this on Upworthy’s website. It’s really good! Short interview with Bishop John Shelby Spong who would fit right in with us TLS’ers when it comes to how controlling the church is.

Best Explanation Of Religion I Have Ever Heard, And I’m Practically An Atheist

Bishop John Shelby Spong describes faith and God in a way that makes our different belief systems feel less like dividers and more like unifiers of our humanity.
    http://www.upworthy.com/best-explanation-of-religion-i-have-ever-heard-and-im-practically-an-atheist?c=upw10

Helene
    Participant

I had temporarily forgotten about Spong, I was raised to think him the devil !!!

A moment of liberating insight came when I moved town and went to a tiny church, many of whom I discovered had recently been to see Spong who had been over on visit. This small church of people were an intellectually enquiring lot, really outward looking even though they were mostly retirees. They were able to discuss him rationally and reasonably and it blew my mind that he wasn’t a topic of dissension. Snap ! Thanks Jo, I’ll peruse this link when I get more time.

Helene
    Participant

Jo, couldn’t help myself, had to watch (I have an exam today, argh !). I got a kick out of watching the journalist’s face !

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

At least it didn’t rob you of too much studying time. :)  Good luck on your exams!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My husband introduced me to Bishop Spong.  We really appreciate his views, in our house.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Great little clip. About 5 years ago when I was pastoring the local church here I preached a sermon. A guest met me at the door on the way out and said I reminded her of Bishop Spong… whom I respect… but she said it with a sneer and wouldn’t shake my hand. She intended it as an insult.

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

I just love it when someone thinks they are being disrespectful and you can smile and say   “THANK YOU”!!!!!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

David – even though she meant it as an insult, I hope you saw it as a huge confirmation that you were on the right track!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.