The thing about the term "atheist"

Blog Forums Reconstruction Atheism, Agnosticism & Science The thing about the term "atheist"

This topic contains 18 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Wade 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Amy
    Amy
    Participant

@Richard I’m sorry I wasn’t more clear.  I meant that my family (who mostly consider themselves atheists) essentially say that about the categories of belief–not that that’s actually what I think.  I know agnostics are not in spiritual limbo; that’s just what I was taught growing up.

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

@amy  Thanks for the clarification.

Profile photo of JeffPrideaux
    JeffPrideaux
    Participant

I  prefer the 2-dimensional orthogonal representation of  theism-atheism and Gnosticism-agnosticism.  In this a definition theismatheism is about what you believe and gnosticism-agnosticism is a out what you claim to know.  Think if a plot with a belief axis going from full atheist to full theists. The other axis represents claims of knowledge going from agnostic to gnostic.  It would be posible to be anywhere on the plot.  With this definition, someone fully agnostic could be at various points along the belief axis.

Wade
    Participant

Jeff, that’s really interesting! I’d never realised that Agnostics and Gnostics were on the same axis (duh!).

Wade.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.