True Purpose

Blog Forums Reconstruction Personal Spirituality True Purpose

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of debbiedarline debbiedarline 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David S
    David S
    Participant

Question:  What do you perceive is your true purpose in life?  Or what makes you feel meaningful?  [Trying to welcome answers from both cognitive and emotional realms.]

—————————————-

Q: “What is the chief end of man?”

A: “To glorify God and enjoy him forever.”

That catechism dialog was my stated motto of purpose for most of my life. It felt noble, since it didn’t glorify my self.  It gave hope, to lose myself in a glorious other that would never end, allied with someone who could right all my wrongs.  Its abstraction was also comforting, since a variety of practical applications could be rationalized.

Now, when faced with my doubts of the truth in that “ultimate purpose”, I often live as though I have none.  On the cognitive level, my attempts to define purpose are now in terms of the sacrificial nature of life, since from an ultimate “entropic” (2nd law of thermodynamics!) perspective the order and existence of human life comes directly from the sacrifice of other life.  On an emotional level, my sense of meaning emerges from human relationships – a joyful greeting from my daughter, an intimate conversation with my wife, or a satisfied student after an exam.  Those answers still feel far from complete, and I’m longing desperately for more.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  David Hayward.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I tossed out anything smacking of “purpose-driven” (or “purpose-drivel,” as I like to call it).  I’m  no longer looking for something to give myself a reason for existence.  Instead, I find meaning in the things and people I love, and seek to give the same to others.

Profile photo of debbiedarline
    debbiedarline
    Participant

After years of searching, pondering, thinking, searching and pondering – for me – it all seems to go back to Love.  As I go through my days, whenever I choose to do or say the loving thing it just feels “right”. I guess that might be the “emotional” side of true purpose.  It also feeds my soul.  I feel a sense of connection, freedom and community by making loving connections.  Last night I found myself at a fund-raiser with all kinds of people. There were married people (both gay and straight), unmarried people (both single and lesbian), rich and generous people, poor struggling students, I could go on and on.  I found great joy in the loving connections they made with each other and with me through great conversation, food, wine, and a shared passion for the arts.  In the past I would have only been comfortable connecting with “Christians like me” and not “secular people – not like me”.  I am finding such joy in building my life around and through these loving connections.

I hope you are able to find that sense of “True Purpose” you are so desperately longing for. I think it is quite a journey for all of us!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.