Venting on Church Busyness

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church Venting on Church Busyness

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  pmpope68 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

pmpope68
    Participant

I just have to vent this since I can’t actually do it on Facebook.  I’m Facebook friends with someone that is an acquaintance.  She’s part of a Charismatic church and I read her posts about traveling out of state with the ministry, getting home at ungodly hours, getting by on little sleep then running up to the church for the next service, coming home to study and again getting little sleep, etc., etc.  I just remember those days of putting in so many hours at church, living at breakneck speed and I can honestly say, I don’t miss them.  I did it at a Charismatic church and then later at an evangelical church.  Denomination doesn’t really matter.  It’s the pouring of your life and energy into something that ultimately doesn’t lead anywhere.  Oh sure, some good is done, but do we really have to live in such a way as to not enjoy life because almost every waking moment is lived in service to the church?  I’m glad to be in this season that I’m in where I can live really enjoying and appreciating life, having time to stop and smell the roses, being able to take care of my mother in her senior years, and whatever else I find worthy to do.  After all, I believe God created this big old world.  What a shame that so many of us live in it and don’t appreciate it and partake of all it has to offer because we’re enslaved to an institution.

Profile photo of Discovering-Life
    Discovering-Life
    Participant

Agreed, this world has so much to offer and enjoy, my life opened once I quit the church rat race. I didn’t realize how much time and how many opportunities I had been passing up because of church until I stopped going. Okay, I still go to a couple of Sunday morning services each month but Sunday evening is now dedicated to Euroboard gaming, a far more interesting and enjoyable activity (and more diverse group of people) in my opinion.

pmpope68
    Participant

Right, Discovering.  I still attend church too, but one of the first things I noticed when I left the last church where I had served as an elder, is how much freer I felt.  Getting up going to church was like a job.  Being an elder, I didn’t just go to church but I was more or less “on point” for whatever might come up, particularly during my last year or so after two senior-level pastors left and then I was much more involved in the worship service.  To get up on a Sunday and leisurely get dressed and drive to church without having to look out for this or that or be ready to answer someone’s question or stay for a meeting after church is a godsend.  And if I don’t want to go, no biggie.  In fact, my Sunday routine now consists of watching CBS Sunday Morning.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

So, one day, it was like I “woke up” and noticed that my only hobby was church. I felt like I had no life. I wondered what I wanted the rest of my life to look like … and I started pursuing things that I had always wanted to do. The cost of this was ridicule from the pastor of my church. I asked why I had to go to a meeting… what was the purpose of the meeting? That was seen as rebellious, undermining, and not like Jesus. I was told I was a terrible person who was difficult, didn’t worship the same god, hard to talk with etc. I was crushed. But, I kept pursuing the things I loved and found that the things I love were less less about “church” on Sunday morning or any time for that matter. Church is a walk in nature. Church is conversation with friends. I have found that prayer is making things with my hands. Prayer is going for a run. Prayer is doing something for someone, including myself. My life is so much richer and free-er. I spent many many years doing “church.” Now I simply be.

pmpope68
    Participant

Good for you, Starfielder!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.