Was I In A Cult?

Blog Forums Introductions Meet & Greet Was I In A Cult?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Peter Stanley Peter Stanley 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

This is prompted by Jo White’s post of:Christianity shares cult-like characteristics
    And the fact that I’ve NEEDED to say this and it is really difficult.
    YES, I WAS IN A CULT.
    huh? Did I say that?

My husband died when I was 50. It was difficult for me to keep going to the church we had been in for many years without him so I went to another church with a friend. It was a non-denom church. I liked their music and I’ve always loved and connected with music. I was there for nine years. They did a few things that I didn’t agree with but you are never going to find a church that does everything you are going to agree with, right?

After having left the church, I started checking out the people. The more I found out, the more shocked I was, not only at them, but at myself for not having checked out the people before.

The church I was in was started by another church in the Dallas area. Although I had NEVER heard the words “New Apostolic Reformation” during the whole nine years at the church I was in, the church that started that church states on their website:

We are an inter-denominational church made up of people from all walks of life who love Jesus and desire to see His Kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven. Peter Wagner, former Fuller Seminary professor and now president of Global Harvest Ministries, uses the term “New Apostolic Reformation” to describe the present worldwide move of God. The new apostolic church is one that is focused on the Kingdom of God and its King, Jesus. These churches believe in the truth of God’s Word, have expressive praise and worship, believe in the gifts and operation of the Holy Spirit and are committed to advancing His Kingdom.

Is that not just creepy?

The church I was in had ‘Apostolic Oversight’ and theses two guys can be searched on the internet and are linked to some stuff that made me cringe, such as NAR and other names that they are and have been known as. Also CULT!!!!

These “APOSTLES” believe that they have been appointed by God and rank just as the apostles of the Bible did. And God just appointed these new apostles in the 21st century, in the year 2000!!!Did I just say that? I was in a church for nine years and no one talked about this stuff? And I was in Leadership and was at all the churches leadership meetings and the meetings with the church that had the statement on their website that they were part of the NAR and the association with Peter Wagner? And I didn’t know!

The statement “the largest religious movement that you have never heard of” is said about the NAR. That is so true. I was THERE for nine years and I had never heard of them. They kind of hide in the shadows and go by different names and the more I find out about them, the more frightening it gets. You can find info that says they are a cult, and info that says they are a fringe cult. And you can find info that says they are NOT a cult.

MANY people have left the church I was at. They had started leaving before I did. They are a smaller church now than when I was there. I am telling people about this and showing them the affiliation. But they just don’t get it!!!

I show and tell people about this affiliation and they didn’t know about it, as I didn’t. I show people still at the original church and they don’t know it. And people say things like… “well, it’s the best place I know to go for the time being.” or “Well, my friends are here.” or “I’m in leadership and I have responsibilities.” or “I still need to show respect and honor the pastors.”

For some reason (probably because I never grew up – ha ha) a group of the single young adults at that church liked to hang out at my house. My nephew came over and met the Music Pastor’s daughter and now they are Mr. and Mrs. and they live in Alabama. And here I am spreading the word that my now niece-in-law’s Dad is the Music Pastor in a church that is NAR/cult affiliated. Niece-in-law and I are really close and I would never want to do anything to hurt or offend her. She knows the church pastors (other than her Dad, of course) are evil, but I still am walking a fine line to not offend her. Sheez…..

There is more to my story but this is about all I can choke out at one time. smile!!!

Tags: Ang church cult stories

11 Responses to Ang: Was I in a cult?

starfielder October 24, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Wow that is quite a realization! It’s a lot to process Ang. I’m glad you could give it some air here and be honest. Maybe this will help take some of the sting of it away. I looked them up, I’m glad you are free to not be sucked into all the religious-hype-politics-etc. Peace.

servantgirl October 24, 2012 at 8:13 pm #

Thanks for sharing this Ang. I find it a little humorous/alarmiing that one of my “Google” search results for New Apostolic Reformation to learn more about it led to an explanation of why they were not a cult. I believe that all churches or religions when examined by through the eyes of someone who is no longer a part of them, or even those who never belonged, will have cult-like characteristics. I can make a pretty convincing argument for why Christianity and a hundred other things are cults. I actually made these arguments about other belief systems when I was still a believer. As scary as one church may seem, it’s easy to find things within all of them. I’m not surprised at all that you’d ask this question.

Ruth Anne October 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

Hi Ang – I know all about the “New Apostolic Reformation”. I was a Peter Wagner groupie for a while. I had lots of his books back when he was a prof at Fuller Seminary and then he started getting into the revival. I flew down to Texas twice for Light the Nation conferences and also went to some of his big conferences at the beginning of this new reformation. They felt that that God was doing a new thing. They were trying to do away with the institutionalized church and experience a true move of God. I have to say that I experienced a lot of things there – now really sure how to judge it now. I think most about all the people being prayed for by Claudio Freizden out of Argentina (a whole group of them came up to light the nation) and they were all walking around and clucking like chickens for a while. Back then I thought every strange thing was evidence of a move of God and I was very hungry for God’s power to work as were all the people there. And yes – strong on praise and worship. The emphasis comes on restoring the 5-fold offices out of Ephesians. He made some to be Apostles, some pastors, teachers, prophet and evangelist. The fact is that most of the churches deal with pastors, teachers and some evangelists. The more charismatic churches have prophets but an apostle will hold ALL of those gifts in one.
    I lost touch with the whole movement 10 years ago when I followed a different charismatic vein up the ladder to cultville. I think it’s the authoritarian governmental structure that really mucks it up because you can’t challenge the leaders on anything – “they are appointed by God and hear from God” and so you don’t get to have a say. It’s a knee jerk reaction to the problem that so many leaders have had in churches where a few really miserable people hold the whole group hostage. Problem is that power corrupts.
    Thanks for sharing your story…..

Jo White October 24, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

Hey Ang,
    I’m the one who posted the characteristics of cults and I still find it hard to believe how many of those tactics were used in every single church I’ve ever attended (Wesleyan, Evangelical, non-denominational, Baptist, and Foursquare.)
    I know the feeling of disbelief and shock that comes with finding out you have been part of a cult. Please don’t beat yourself up over it. At least now you know the truth and that’s really all that matters.
    If it’s any consolation, about 4 years ago I was searching for a “house church” and ended up getting involved with a far worse cult. It was a total mish-mash of teachings on the Jewish Feasts/ancient paleo-Hebrew alphabet/symbols, plus a fascination with the supernatural, we ran Healing Rooms, and embraced the teachings of Michael Petro and Michael Rood (both real nutcases!)
    Michael Rood teaches that Christians should not observe/celebrate Christmas or Easter because they were originally pagan holidays. I even got rid of my Christmas tree, and all my Christmas decorations, music, etc. (I can’t even believe I did that!)
    Thank God I finally realized something was wrong and I left after a year. But it still took awhile for me to be able to put all the crazy puzzle pieces together.
    Oh – While I was with that group I also attended a week-long “Be In Health” Conference in Georgia which features the teachings of Pastor Henry Wright. His main premise is that various physical symptoms/diseases are caused by corresponding things like bitterness, unforgiveness, envy, pride, feelng unloved, having a broken heart, etc. We renounced a TON of things, and it all sounded good in theory, but all the legalistic spiritual warfare t required to “keep your healing” was exhausting! Another cult!
    Sorry to hear that your niece-in-law’s dad is still Music Pastor at your former NAR church! That really sucks! Best of luck with that situation!

moxierocks October 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

Ang, you are amazing.
    It’s a real punch in the face when you finally realize that you’ve been a part of something you would never deliberately join, isn’t it?
    I went to many kinds of churches and they are all basically the same…cultish! I can relate to Jo in that I also became convinced not to celebrate pagan holidays like x-mas and easter. Funny thing, now I actually celebrate Winter Solstice almost like a real pagan…haha!
    Anyway, thank you for sharing with us so bravely! I know how tough it can be to work through. I’m still working through it myself!
    (hugs)
    ~moxie

Ang October 25, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

Thanks so much to all of you! This is the first time that I have felt comfortable talking about it. Well, I really wasn’t comfortable when I posted it. But now your words have helped me so much.
    sg, I feel like if they are having to say they are NOT a cult, that only verifies that they ARE a cult. And when I left there, I was going to take a break and then find another church. As I started searching out what had happened and what I believed, that is when I realized that I didn’t want to be a part of a church again.
    Star, the place seemed so ‘normal’. The senior pastor and I were (I thought) good friends. That’s another story. He always laughingly said that the church was ‘baptist without the guilt.’ And referring to the politics, I actually helped FOUR from the church get elected to the city counsel; two pastors and two members. Worked my butt off too. Two of them have since not been re-elected. The Senior Pastor just lost with getting only 36 votes. Can you tell he was well liked? And I didn’t see that one church was trying to take over the city.
    Ruth Ann, I saw some of the strange happenings at the church that started Lighthouse, like falling out on the floor and people running around kinda possessed, etc., but that was not happening at Lighthouse. That’s why I thought it was pretty normal, even though I did see some things that I questioned. We did have a few people that were ‘so prophetic’ that seemed every word that came out of their mouth was directly from God himself. And one of the pastors was our ‘prophet’ /prophetic… And I can relate to wanting desperately for God to work in my life. I had taken some pretty hard hits in my life and I needed some relief and thought for sure it was at that church and that ‘God was there.’ After all, nearly every Sunday it was said, “He is here with us, just rest in his arms and let him have his way with your life.” All the while the hypnotic music played….
    Jo, Thank you so much for posting about the cult. It gave me the oomph that I needed to start getting it out. Sounds like you, like me, have tried several different flavors. They did healing rooms and prayer rooms at the conferences, etc. And always asked people to come down after service for prayer or healing. I have a couple health issues and they took me on as their project. I kinda learned how to avoid it most of the time. Funny, they never healed me! But I think they were wanting it more for them than for me. And I did two Life Groups, as they called them, on Spiritual Warfare. ahhhh as you said, exhausting.
    Moxie, Yes, it’s funny looking back that most churches all have their own separate strange ideas. And ALL had things that I didn’t agree with. And the holidays… Halloween turned into the Fall Festival. And it was a big church deal and they invited the whole town to it at church.I just looked up Winter Solstice. And they have greeting cards…Solstice Sun, Shining Bright!Shortest Day & Longest Night.Solstice Wish of Hope & Cheer:Peace on Earth, throughout the Year!I wonder what would happen if I sent that instead of Christmas cards this year. hummm… you’ve got me thinking!Yep, I’ll be working thru all this for a while…
    Thanks again!

Ashley Jennings October 28, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

OMG, Ang, JO, Moxie, Ruth Anne,
    Wowzahs. It’s weird how all of our stories “no matter which denomination” we have experience with, sound the same.
    @Moxie- I agree with you. I have been in a few different denominations and they taste the same going down, but then give you a major upset stomach when you get out of there and look back at what was going on. Oh, the use of Bible verses to keep you there.
    @Jo- I can see why the young adults wanted to hang with you. You rock! Thanks for sharing your story. It makes me feel sad looking back that I was so legalistic (eventhough I was going to a church that wasn’t “legalistic.” The audacity of us to think that we had the answer and everyone else just needed to see the light. Goodness, all of the Sundays I wasted setting up and tearing down church. Gah!!
    @ang-you mentioned the harvest festivals that are used to bring kids in who don’t normally go to church. How many years of my life did I believe that that was the truth? That we had to be the shining example to the rest of the world, by not dressing up and following pagan holidays. Too many. Too many to count.
    So Pagan Holidays, while I am on the subject. I think I might not be so antagonistic or even “meh” about christianity if it was called out for what it is. It is no different than any of the other religions. It really isn’t. There are many roles for religion in this world.Religion makes sense to me as a cultural piece of the pie. But I can no longer suspend my disbelief when people get very literal with the Bible. Especially when the verses they are referring to are used to chastise people for acting out of the norm.
    F*ck that sh*t.
    Thanks, Ang for bringing this thread up. It has been on my mind a lot lately, the idea that I was in a cult all along. Funny side note. I was at Calvary Chapel Bible College for one semester and one of my classes was called “Cults from around the World.”
    Love,Ash

Tana October 27, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

Wow. Yeah, I’ve been semi-affiliated with the NAR only, like you, never heard of NAR until well after I bailed on the affiliation. I have an ex-sister-in-law who is now an “ex” because my brother couldn’t keep up with her NAR beliefs. Christmas time is a real PITA for him when he gets their children for celebration. She actually told him that he couldn’t talk about Santa or have a Christmas tree while their kids were with him. Thankfully he just said, “Uh huh, okay,” and then did whatever he wanted which was to give them presents under a tree and talk about how Santa visited in the middle of the night.  Good for him. But I remember a time when he was “full of the spirit” and really obnoxious. Funny, I faintly remember a time I too was “full of the spirit” and really obnoxious. Haha.
    Thankful for my freedom from these oppressors and oppressive mind control games.

Ashley Jennings October 28, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

@servantgirl-where does that leave us? I totally agree. Every church/religion has cult-like characteristics. But where doth that leave us?
    Part of me thinks that there was some good stuff there (in church). some healing. NOT answers, just some good stuff. However, at this point in my life, I am not even sure if that is true.
    Cheers!Ashley

ippie October 28, 2012 at 7:06 pm #

Fascinating! What I can’t figure out is why they do it. There are so many of these little churches around, are they just power hungry? Is it the money they’re after? What is their motivation? Do they believe what they’re preaching?

servantgirl October 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Hey Ashley, good question. I think where it’s left me depended on where I was on my personal spiritual journey. When I was in the midst of it, a practicing believer, I questioned a lot, but admittedly there were things that I did that just went with the flow. Looking at it when I first left religion and the pain and anger were raw, I was furious at myself for having all the tools to remove myself from it all my life, yet still sticking around. Now that I’ve had time to be away for a while, and the wounds have mostly healed, and I no longer believe, I’m able to look at it objectively. I can make comparisons to things that exist in religion and also exist in recognized cults and build on it from there. A big thing for me is fear. Fear is one of the most powerful tools used to keep people in cults. However, through interviewing various people I’ve learned that fear is not only what keeps them in their church or religion, but fear is what keeps them from questioning or speaking up.
    I know that there is a lot of good in church because I’ve experienced and lived it first hand, but I don’t believe that it’s about the faith or the building. People are primarily good and loving and will usually do the right thing if left to make their own decisions. When you think of those who have never been exposed to religion in their lives, yet do the right thing without the fear of hell, or the reward of heaven, you learn to realize that it’s really about us.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Ang Ang.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@servantgirl- “People are primarily good and loving and will usually do the right thing if left to make their own decisions. When you think of those who have never been exposed to religion in their lives, yet do the right thing without the fear of hell, or the reward of heaven, you learn to realize that it’s really about us.” This line pretty much sums it up.  I have met so many amazing people outside of the church. It’s amazing.

Profile photo of Peter Stanley
    Peter Stanley
    Participant

I’ve been reading through some of the many topics and getting to know a little of the background of a few of the ‘family’ – and then this morning I found this topic with all of the replies gathered together and I knew that this is where I belong (at least for a season).

This is a very long response that has taken a few hours of thought to complete. I used to say that I often thought with a pencil in my hand. More recently I have sometimes ‘thought with my fingers’ and this morning has been one of those occasions. I guess you will all be able to relate to at least part of my story – but where do I go from here? I honestly don’t know!

I had been a member of a CULT for some 20 years but I have a very different story to tell – that I recently completed on my own blog. I have no regrets. I have no recollection of ever doubting the existence of God. I have far more empathy with agnostics and even many atheists than I do with those ‘Christians’ who think they have all the answers. I wouldn’t be where I am now if it wasn’t for that experience. I have a FAITH that I don’t have to defend because I’ve come to understand that it is impossible to prove to anyone else that God exists, and that it is impossible for anyone to prove the opposite. What the majority of educated people seem to be unable to accept is that there is something much deeper that lies outside the realms of intellect, logic and reason – and as a friend of mine wrote a few years ago, “faith is a catalyst that brings about a fusion between man and God – an intimate encounter – a treasure that needs to be handled and experienced”.

I have some very mixed feelings relating to some of the comments you are all making. I understand something of where you are coming from because when I look back on my life I realise that I have been asking some of the awkward questions to which there are no easy answers for more than 60 years – starting with the rejection of the teachings of the trinity (that I received then) when I was 13. I’m now 77 and it’s only in the last 3 years that I’ve really come to appreciate to significance of allowing Father to live his life in and through me (please don’t take that too literally). I wrote an article a few years ago entitled, “Stages of Faith”that seems to be very significant.

I sense that I have been on a long journey and like so many others I have been drawn away from churches that we may have attended for many years (in my case twice some 25 years apart). It was in 1998 that I became aware of a “freedom and liberation from the slavery of legalism” but it wasn’t until 2003 that I was really drawn into the world of what was then often referred to as “the out of church Christians”.

I now find myself in a strange position – wondering how I can support and encourage others who are on a journey that may not be unlike mine. I have never had a leadership position within a church (apart from being treasurer of an Anglican parish for 8 years in the 1960’s) but I have at times found myself being used by leaders as a shoulder to cry on . I am not by nature a student, and I’m not a great reader. I have always been a workaholic. I came to the conclusion about 4 years ago that I have lived with Aspergers Syndrome all my life (self diagnosis) – I had always understood that I lacked emotion but now know differently!

That’s enough of an introduction. Let me now share some of the thoughts I had as I read through these comments:
    The idea that Christianity shares cult like characteristics! As I often say, “There is an enormous difference between the Christian RELIGION and the Christian FAITH!”

Ruth Anne was caught up with Peter Wagner – I was caught up with The Worldwide Church of God led by Herbert W Armstrong.

Jo White was caught up with a House Church – I was looking for one in 2002 and met the leaders of ‘House-2-House’ in London but never found a House Church to join. But getting to know something of their story and the way that group has developed has been very interesting – and I can certainly relate to the expression, “legalistic spiritual warfare”. I would question whether the Christian FAITH needs WARRIORS or GARDENERS. Does God need us to do his job for him or does he simply want us to allow him to do his work in and through us?

Imagine rejecting Christmas and Easter as pagan holidays and deliberately ignoring them when you have children of 9 and 12! It was quite a problem at school, but ironically it was made easier for my daughter because she was very friendly with a Jehovah’s Witness. But that was nothing compared to keeping the Sabbath from sunset to sunset and insisting on leaving work on a Friday afternoon in the winter at 4pm. Then there was the keeping of the biblical Holy Days that we kept ‘religiously’ including the Feast of Tabernacles. Not only did we tithe but we kept ‘second tithe’ to spend on the Feast. It was great for the children for whom it was a replacement for Christmas. We met hundreds of people from America at Feast sites in the UK. We met a couple in 1986 who invited us back in 1987. My wife and I spent 27 nights in the States and didn’t pay a single hotel bill. It was an incredible ‘family’ with over 120,000 members worldwide – and it all came tumbling down in 1995 when the leadership announced that much of their theology was misguided – which resulted in a catastrophic breakup of our own family of 14 related by marriage.

Ippie asked about motivation. Were people power hungry? Some may have been later in their lives but we really did have to give up so much – and we were convinced that this was the ‘one true church’ because no other church kept the Sabbath and the Holy Days properly. We had come from an Anglican background and we ‘knew’ that there were Christians in other churches – we simply saw them as misguided because they only understood part of the picture – how wrong we were!!!

For me ServantGirl has really hit the nail on the head. FEAR is an incredibly powerful tool. Where would the Christian RELIGION be for most people without the ‘Get out of Hell free‘ card? Yes there is a lot of good in ‘church’ – I’ve experienced it, but how much TRUTH has been hidden as a result of so much misguided, denominational theology? How can anyone reconcile the place of Hell and a God of unbelievable love? As I’ve said it’s been a long journey and an endless asking of some of the awkward questions to which there are no easy answers. But while some have become atheists, others have come through with a stronger faith. But that raises what for me is a significant question – is it possible to be an Atheist or a Theist. We can’t prove that God exists nor can we prove the opposite. I know this cuts across so many academic arguments, but isn’t it reasonable to suggest that we are ALL agnostic to one degree or another?

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

I’m so glad you joined us Pete! I’m enjoying the thoughts you share and your questions. :-)

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Hi Pete,

I can relate to a lot of your journey. The last formal church that I belonged to was the SDA church. I left that in 1986. Since then I have been in and out of a number of groups none of which were recognized as non profit charity and government registered. One exception  was a couple of years attending a cross between a Pentecostal church and a wannabe synagogue. We left there when they began requiring membership classes and signing on the dotted line. After that split a number of us started up a church group that I was with for the next 17 years. It was a mix of legalism and grace, an ongoing tension between arminian and calvinistic leanings. The one guiding authority was the inerrant and infallible Bible. Which of course was open to interpretation. Looking back it is not hard to see that this fundamentalism was a train wreck just waiting to happen. A fundamentalist’s greatest assets are a closed mind and a fear of hell.

I have always looked into things and did research when challenged and was more open to change so eventually differences that were deal breakers began to surface. Anyway I was unprepared for the blow up that ensued. Not only was I split from the church but also from some of my family. As you know it is very painful to lose loved ones and be treated like you do not exist. All this has left me with a very negative view of church and religion in general. And there is that question, was I in a cult?

There is much evil, pain and suffering in the world and it is there in the church and in the realm of religion. I used to believe that the church was the congregation of God, the body of Christ, the collective vessel of the Holy Spirit. Now I do not see convincing evidence that this is true. I have come to doubt the  inerrancy of the bible.  I am more of an agnostic than a believer.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@ hugh- I pretty much read your comment and felt like it could have been something I would have written.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Ash

Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

Pete & Hugh, THANK YOU.   Not to sound like the proverbial broken record, but I love “hearing” the voices of this community. I’ve been here since the very beginning, but find that I learn so much from each of you as you join the conversations.

Pete, when you talked about your article, “Stages of Faith” I will admit that I shuddered a little.  Not because I’ve read it, but because of Fowler.  I have an theologian in my family that has used Fowler’s “Stages of Faith” to highlight why I was never a good Christian and the stage at which I stopped developing.  Back when I believed, something like that would have crushed me and fed into my fear.  Fortunately, he pulled that stunt after I’d already left the church and religion altogether.

Hugh, my disbelief in Biblical inerrancy was my biggest struggle.  I could not reconcile my faith with the text.  I struggled with it’s authorship, translations, interpretations, basically all of it.   When I was in seminary I sent an email to one of my professors calling the Bible ‘word clay.’  People could use just enough of it to build a coffee mug and claim to be the truest Christians, while people could use enough to build a life-size statue and make the same claim.  I asked him who were we to determine what was relevant or no longer so about scripture.  He told me that if I could not believe in the fundamentals, I’d have a very hard time in any form of ministry.  I left the next semester.  I’m an atheist that’s more of a metaphysical naturalists.  I don’t know all the answers, but I hold to the things I do know to be true.   Human decency and morality don’t require an ounce of faith.

Peter Stanley
    Participant

Hugh – I found your comments very interesting.  As an Anglican I was taught by a former principal of a theological college to ignore the myth and symbolism of the first eleven chapters of Genesis – before finding a very different story within the cult.

As a Brit with a fair knowledge of history I was fascinated several years ago to learn about the significant part played by King James in the translation of the KJV – in order to maintain his belief in the divine right of kings.  Since then it has become more and more obvious why the accuracy of that translation cannot be relied on.

I have suggested on my blog that because we can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God that those who give any thought to the purpose of life are almost always agnostic to one degree or another.  I share your view of church and religion – but then I’ve understood for many years that there is an enormous difference between the Christian RELIGION (or Christendom) and the Christian FAITH.  I think it is significant that the Christian RELIGION doesn’t seem to have any answers to the problems of SUFFERING – but that would be something for a separate topic.

Servantgirl – I was surprised by your comment about Fowler (I’ve never read his work) because the idea that anyone can dare to suggest that someone else is not a good Christian just seems to be so wrong.

As I’ve said on my blog, I have been in touch over the years with many former Christians who describe themselves as atheists who reject religion of any kind but who accept that there may be a spiritual aspect of life that they are not aware of.  Food for thought?

Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

I’ve already chewed that over a few times Pete.  Listed below is where I stand spiritually today – which may change at any given time the more I learn and grow.  I won’t be making a return to organized religion though.  I don’t believe in the concept of a god or a higher power.
    I believe in loving others.
    I believe in people and their ability to do the right thing without need for reward or recognition.
    I believe that no 2 people, be they believers or non-believers,  are exactly the same and respect and value individuality.
    I believe that basic human decency transcends boundaries created by religious or non-religious ideals.   Belief or lack of belief should not have an impact on being a decent human being.  You shouldn’t be able to spot the difference.
    I believe that fundamentalism, regardless of the side of the fence it falls, is divisive and leaves little room for relationship building.
    I believe it was necessary for me to have spent the time I did in Christianity to have a healthy respect for where I am now.   I don’t believe that spirituality = faith.   I don’t believe that spirituality is about the Holy Spirit, making connections with, or living to align my spirit with the teachings of a creator/god/deity.   I am spiritual, but my spirituality is focused on personal enrichment and growth, not adherence to any philosophy or belief system.
    I believe that my beliefs are a work in process and have been trying to avoid the limitations created by labels.  However for ease of conversation I’m an atheist/non-theist, but also a naturalist.   I’m still on the spiritual journey I started in the church.   I set out to gain a stronger understanding of my faith and my research led me to a place of complete disbelief in the all deities.   My  journey is  now about enlightenment, service, and love.   Since  I believe that there is so much greatness within me, and within us all, I can’t wait to see where this work in process takes me.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Hi @servantgirl

I really like the things that you have come to believe and the strength that your words convey. I am not nearly that recovered (strong) yet. You said in your earlier post, “I don’t know all the answers, but I hold to the things I do know to be true”. I think that may be key to my psychological health right now. I need to self affirm what I do believe is true, factual and rational even while I am in the midst of so much mental and emotional turmoil. That should help in giving me something to build on. So thanks for being here and sharing your journey. 

Hi @Pete,

I am glad that you are part of this community as well. I love the diversity here and the non-judgmental attitudes. Something that was significant for me in moving away from inerrancy was the study of ‘large numbers in scripture’ and how that relates to the exodus. If the numbers were wrong then perhaps other things were as well. Tyndale and the KJV have influenced every English translation of the bible since. Their translational errors have been institutionalized and have become part of the very fabric of churchianity.

Peter Stanley
    Participant

Servantgirl believes that fundamentalism, regardless of the side of the fence it falls, is divisive and leaves little room for relationship building.  I would agree but would actually go further and suggest that ‘Christendom‘ has a lot to answer for – and one of the foundations of Christendom is the KJV!  I have far more empathy with many agnostics and even some atheists than I do with those Christians who think they have all the answers – see ‘From Christian to Atheist‘.

I describe myself as an unconventional believer.  Just to give one example – after the changes that occurred in the church we were attending in 1995 my daughter and her husband walked away and now consider themselves atheists.  I believe that they made the right decision because that decision was based on what they had seen and understood (including the breakdown of family relationships that subsequently developed), and there is no way that I am going to try and persuade them to change their minds – that’s not my job.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.