20 Mistakes I Made As A Senior Pastor

Blog Forums Deconstruction Ex-pastors & Leaders 20 Mistakes I Made As A Senior Pastor

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  StarryNight 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

StarryNight
    Participant

I really connected with this list of mistakes. Do you?

20 Mistakes I Made As A Senior Pastor – by Jim Palmer

Putting church over community.
    Putting orthodoxy over love.
    Putting certainty over wonder.
    Putting teaching over conversation.
    Putting polished over real.
    Putting answers over questions.
    Putting membership over friendship.
    Putting Christianity over Christ.
    Putting knowledge over action.
    Putting style over substance.
    Putting appearance over authenticity.
    Putting functionality over beauty.
    Putting religion over spirituality.
    Putting holiness over humanity.
    Putting accountability over acceptance.
    Putting heaven over earth.
    Putting reputation over risk.
    Putting charisma over compassion.
    Putting the Afterlife over the Herelife.
    Putting thinking over feeling.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of McBeth
    McBeth
    Participant

I am embarrassed to say that most of this list characterizes too much of my life as a a pastor/leader.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

excellent list chad. and jim!

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Great list Chad. Thanks for posting it.

Profile photo of Ruth Anne
    Ruth Anne
    Participant

Love this list Chad! Thanks for posting. Think I didn’t do most of them and that’s why I didn’t last in ministry! And all I can say to that is THANK GOD! To “succeed” in ministry, one has to adopt the things on the list….

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Great list! Thanks for sharing it.

Profile photo of katiepearl
    katiepearl
    Participant

Does all this come about because the church is too identified with the human institution rather than the spiritual community?  As soon as the fellowship has a building you’re into paying bills, keeping it maintained and secure, etc, so you then need an income, so you need people contributing, so you need loyal members, so you need a nice building to attract them…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Yes, Katie – you hit the nail right on the head!

Unfortunately (and unintentionally)  once a church building has been established, the focus  becomes almost exclusively about financally supporting the building/programs and acquiring more buildings and offering more programs… and less and less about supporting people who have very real spiritual, emotional, or financial needs.

SO VERY SAD! And so very far from what Jesus intended the church to be!

starfielder
    Participant

Katie and Jo, my church has no building and I can tell you from experience that they are more into programs and meetings than relationships. They have nice slogans and signs they put up. They have protocols for all kinds of things. They ask for feedback and when you give constructive feedback they tell you why you are wrong and how you need to seek Jesus more. Complete and utter nonsense and no building.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

agreed. i’ve been involved with house-churches and homegroup type churches, and been to conferences of the same. no difference. interesting dynamic.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Starfielder – thanks for the head’s up about house churches! And the beat goes on…

starfielder
    Participant

yep Jo, the beat goes on… and here we all are! ;-)

Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

I love this list Chad.  I have to say that when I decided to return to the church in my early 20s, I didn’t know exactly what kind of pastor I was looking for, but I  found exactly the kind of pastor I needed.  My ex-pastor, with whom I’m still great friends, wasn’t exactly what I was used to coming from a legalistic Baptist background.  We met in a school gym, and though there was a stage, he stood at the same level as us.  He wore jeans and t-shirts, drove a 10 year old Toyota, and most importantly he talked to us, not at us.   I can rarely think of the word grace and how it relates to religion without thinking of him.  Being in a church that felt like a small home group was an amazing experience.  Unfortunately he moved on to start his own church in another state.   As I read through that list I could check off the things about him that he did right – the fact that he gave priority to the things that really mattered most.  If only more senior pastors had the freedom to place emphasis on what really mattered, without interference from Church Inc.

StarryNight
    Participant

ServantGirl,

I’m glad you had a good experience with a pastor like that – how wonderful!

Profile photo of servantgirl
    servantgirl
    Participant

Thanks Chad.  I’m grateful for that too.  Had I never experienced that pastor, I probably would still be a non-theist now, but I would have never learned what he taught me about grace and acceptance.  Quite frankly, I wouldn’t be on this site, and I’d have a much uglier view of religion than I do.  Don’t get me wrong, I still see the bad in it, but I’m able to recognize the good that exists as well, especially in the people.  Like the people here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.