3 Questions posed by a Facebook friend: Joshua Lester

Blog Forums Reconstruction Theology & Philosophy 3 Questions posed by a Facebook friend: Joshua Lester

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of starfielder starfielder 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cdevon
    cDevon
    Participant

Re-posted by permission.
    I have posted three questions below that undoubtedly will cause a very heated debate, mainly because to answer them each of you will have to step out of your Religious comfort zones. However, I am very interested in gaining a new perspective, seeing as I have taken the thought process as far as I can at the moment and I am seeking your input to stimulate my own thought process. Iron sharpens Iron, Please keep answers non confrontational. I await your answers eagerly. O:)

Is it possible for an evolution of understanding of the Nature of God to Invalidate Religious Standards?

Is it possible that the Armageddon which is in Revelation to be an allegory for the War of The Christ Mindset in each of us?

Is it also possible that the Return of Christ is the Awakening of said spirit manifesting itself in a possible KINGDOM MOVEMENT?
    And my answers:  If you don’t mind I would like to share your answers to these questions, with out relieving your names unless you give me permission.

Profile photo of cdevon
    cDevon
    Participant

1. Is it possible for an evolution of understanding of the Nature of God to Invalidate Religious Standards? I believe that our thinking and understanding as a human race and as an individual, evolves. We know that what is known today was disbelieved yesterday. I believe that my understanding has evolved to a point that the religious beliefs and practices I once held as absolute, are now viewed more clearly and that I can no long go with the status qua. That being the long answer to the short…Yes our thinking can evolve to a point where the nature of God as once known would leave religion as we know it today obsolete.

2. Is it possible that the Armageddon which is in Revelation to be an allegory for the War of The Christ Mindset in each of us? I suppose it can be viewed that way, and can also be used that way. However I think Revelations was a look at their own future. A war that was to come to the Jewish nation. Could even have been a foreknowing of the Crusades. Not everything in the Bible was a letter to the future. Most in fact were to those the letters were addressed to.

3. Is it also possible that the Return of Christ is the Awakening of said spirit manifesting itself in a possible KINGDOM MOVEMENT? The awakening would suggest this. But I believe his spirit has already returned in the form of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said at his ascension, that as they had seen him rise into the heavens so he would return, yet in Revelations it suggest he would come back riding on a white horse. The Jewish people of Christ day believed their Savior was coming back as a King to help them defeat their enemies. I think Revelations is a continuing of this though. Those who wrote All of the New Testament, starting writing it 30 to 40 years after the death of Christ. Most of them had never met Jesus in person. They wrote the stories passed on to them by those who had be taught by the apostles, who in turn were taught by Jesus.

// //

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Devon –  Thanks for the thought provoking questions. I pretty much agree with your conclusions.

Regarding #1 – Although I think it’s true in theory, (and I would LOVE to see religion become obsolete!), I don’t think that’s likely to happen. :(

Regarding #2-  Like you, I don’t think Armageddon is an analogy of the Christ – mindset  supposedly at war within us. If we are finding true spirituality, which includes becoming our authentic selves, there should be inner peace rather than inner war. But the Armageddon/Christ mindset analogy goes perfectly with Paul’s comments in Romans about “doing the things I don’t want to do and not doing the things I want to do.”  I think Armageddon may well be an analogy of the on-going tension/conflict between religion/churchianity and people who have left the institutional church and are in the process of discovering true spirituality which encourages them to be who they are rather than constantly  fighting against themselves.

Regarding #3 – I agree that the Holy Spirit came when Christ physically left the earth, but religion has pretty much silenced the Holy Spirit with all the false theology/dogma/doctrine. Thank God, there does seem to be an awakening taking place, evidenced by so many leaving the institutional church and re-evaluating the beliefs the church taught them.  Will it become some type of Kingdom Movement? Definitely! Not a highly visible organized corporate kind of movement, but more of an individual  grass roots type movement as more and more individuals reject religion/theology/tradition and start living authentic spirituality instead. There’s no telling what the impact of that will turn out to be since I don’t think it’s ever happened before in human history???

I look forward to reading more responses on this topic.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Um, does it matter? And if it matters, why does it matter?

starfielder
    Participant

and I’m not being cheeky. I’m actually wondering if it matters…

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

“Kingdom Movement” is a trigger phrase for me and my ex church group… so I dare keep my thoughts to myself.  I agree with starfielder.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ang – Sounds like from your experience that perhaps  “Kingdom Movement” is synonymous with “Bowel Movement” – ha!

starfielder
    Participant

Well, it is kinda funny but I really don’t mean any disrespect.

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

@Jo That made me laugh.  Kingdom Movement to them actually meant that their ‘apostles’ plan to ‘take over’ the world for and before Jesus can return.  Sick, huh?  For nine years of hearing Kingdom Movement, I didn’t know they were a cult and I thought Kingdom Movement meant telling people about Jesus.
    @starfielder agreed…

@cDevon  I do apologize for getting the subject offtrack and do hope others will respond.  As starfielder said, no disrespect intended.  

David Hayward
    Keymaster

1. I believe in the evolution of all things.

2. I believe The Revelations are completely allegorical with historical clues from the time of its writing.

3. I believe that the Spirit is a metaphor for the presence of Christ, i.e. God, in the human collective, in the world, and no longer separated in Heaven.

starfielder
    Participant

and I agree with David.

Profile photo of cdevon
    cDevon
    Participant

It mattered to the friend asking the questions.  He is, I believe, studying to see where his own ideology is.  I just thought the questions were interesting and I enjoyed answering them.  Sorry about the trigger effect.  I don’t believe he was relating it to that movement, but I could be wrong.  Thanks for participation.

starfielder
    Participant

@cDevon, I think I’m interested in the following … What is does to a person or how they feel about it. What kind of person it makes them. Who it helps them become… this is interesting to me. The head knowledge, I’ve never seen change anyone for the better. But their internal shift, what happens to them as they are transformed by something… I love these kinds of stories. I like to hear what stirs people and causes them to “ah ha” or wonder…. 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.