Alpha and similar courses

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church Alpha and similar courses

This topic contains 18 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Amy
    Amy
    Participant

Wayne, that’s why I decided not to go into grant writing when I graduated with my MS Ed. in health.  I learned about a lot of that crap by taking a course on non-profit management.  The tax code alone makes the whole thing a beast.  For our project, we had to study a non-profit org and write a summary of our findings, including staff, structure, and finances.  I learned things about the church I was at that really bothered me, including the way they were secretive about staff salaries and such and how less than 2% of the total budget went to anything outside the church walls.

Tim WB
    Participant

To answer your original question, Joshua:

The ratio of Churched to Unchurched people is so high, because otherwise the classes would look terribly empty.

I have never seen a church which was both capable of running Alpha classes (or similar); and capable of engaging enough “outsiders” to fill them.

lynnie
    Participant

I go to church and in all of my born again life i havent attended any of these classes…i did try the discipleship class but i couldnt finish it…i think i have been a rebel most of my christian life..i do things in a very weird way..
    the truth is you feel obliged to attend these things or else you dont qualify as a member of the church or you could even be referred to as immature.,.,
    am still trying to see how to respond to this church thing..each and every day i feel more out of place and want to stay out of it,..
    i go to church, i sing in the choir…and ilove to sing..so many a time i go with the intention of simply singing and i actually have a great time…

oh my i dont know what to say…:-)

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I’ve been in and run alpha courses. i don’t like them now. but i was in the thick of it at one time.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.