An Unconventional Believer

Blog Forums Introductions Meet & Greet An Unconventional Believer

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Peter Stanley
    Peter Stanley
    Participant

I am now 77 and although I cannot remember ever doubting the existence of God I have been questioning the teachings of the Christian RELIGION for more than 60 years, and lived ‘outside the walls’ of ‘traditional’ Christianity for some 40 years. An old friend once said, ‘Peter you have the knack of asking the awkward questions to which there are no easy answers’. I have far more empathy with many agnostics, and even some atheists, than I do with those Christians who think they have all the answers.

I was treasurer of an Anglican Parish for 8 years in the 1960’s but became disillusioned at the lack of ‘radical’ Christianity, and years later spent some 20 years as a member of a Sabbath-keeping church that announced in 1995 that much of its theology was misguided. I have not had any formal theological training but I was forced to reconsider just about everything I had ever been taught. It took a long time (although I was no longer employed), but I have a clear recollection in 1998 of recognising a freedom and liberation from the slavery of legalism. By this time I was already using the internet (with dial up connections) but it wasn’t until 2003 that I really began to link up with what was then being referred to as the out of church Christians.

As I look back now two things in particular stick out:
    1. I have learned so much over the last ten years or so about why people believe what they believe, often as a result of divisive, denominational theology.
    2. Life has been an interesting and at times a frustrating journey, but for me one of the major lessons has been that there is an enormous difference between the Christian RELIGION and the Christian FAITH, and I can empathise with some of those believers who are now reluctant to say that they are Christians.

It was in June 2012 that Bob Greaves – The Unconventional Pastor (who interviewed David recently) – wrote a lengthy post on his blog entitled, ‘What I actually believe‘. It was Bob’s description of himself as an agnostic theist – a term I had not seen before – that really set me thinking. Like Bob I would describe myself as an agnostic theist – I believe in the God of the Bible but I have some doubts about the details. I have a faith that I no longer need to defend, but neither do I require others to believe it because I do not see it as my responsibility to encourage others to believe my faith!

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Peter Stanley Peter Stanley.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Welcome Pete to a whole community of unconventional types.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Hi Old Pete!     Welcome! I like how you put this…”I believe in the God of the Bible but I have some doubts about the details. I have a faith that I no longer need to defend, but neither do I require others to believe it because I do not see it as my responsibility to encourage others to believe my faith!” Cheers!

Profile photo of Ang
    Ang
    Participant

I like how you think.  Glad you are here!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I believe in the God of the Bible but I have some doubts about the details”… well said Pete.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

Hi Pete,  I hear you. Interesting that my first religion contact when I was a child was also Anglican and I went on to become a sabbath and a holy days keeper too. We thought we were following the truth that others were neglecting. It all made sense at the time. Met a lot of  ‘strange’ people over the years. I suppose there were others who thought the same about me lol. Started to let go the OT Law stance in the early 90’s and adopted a more Baptist orientation.  Now it’s live and let live. Not getting excited about all that doctrinal stuff anymore. Not even sure there is God who cares about us. It’s been a long and winding road.

R2
    Participant

Pete, Hello! <<resonance>>  :-)

Profile photo of Crysti
    Crysti
    Participant

Hi Pete! I resemble your remarks!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Welcome to the neighborhood Pete! I liked what you shared.  Hope to hear more from you.

Profile photo of Peter Stanley
    Peter Stanley
    Participant

Thanks to all for the welcome!

I’m spending some time looking around the site generally.

I’ll share some more thoughts soon.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hey Pete I’m glad you found your way here, nice to bump into you on this site as well as on facebook.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.