Any more ex-pastors out there?

Blog Forums Deconstruction Ex-pastors & Leaders Any more ex-pastors out there?

This topic contains 42 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jasonlerato
    jasonlerato
    Participant

yup…ex youth pastor here

David Hayward
    Keymaster

welcome jason

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hiya,

I’m not an ex-pastor, but I’m a struggling pastor. A wondering what marketable skills I have to obtain a non ministry job pastor.

So, Hi.

Profile photo of McBeth
    McBeth
    Participant

hey Guru….welcome.

If you are a pastor, than I am confident you have plenty of marketable skills. It’s just how you ‘frame ‘ them on your resume…seriously.

:-)

David Hayward
    Keymaster

it’s true. it’s all about phrasing.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Guru, ask Lizarina… she’s good at that kind of thing…

David Hayward
    Keymaster

yes she is. we’ll try to connect you two.

Profile photo of verittus
    verittus
    Participant

@ GuruMike: I struggled with that notion of marketability for years.  I felt defeated – only good and equipped for ministry.  On top of that, internal pressure and external pressures nailed me to the floor.  For over two years, I researched nearly every night online for anything else that I could do.  It was a slow process of raw self-discovery that led me out of ministry and into some amazing beautiful things, I never imagined possible at the time.  I had to ask myself a lot of questions and be honest with myself.  There was also huge risk, but it has all been worth it!  I hope you are able to give yourself permission to explore those deeper thoughts and questions inside  – to dream huge and risk for the sake of something greater! I’m cheering for you!

@ Chad:  Thanks for sharing your story.  I appreciate the imagery of the “hostel” – a safe resting place.  That’s been our place too.  I love to hear how you refocused life back to home and family. Hats off to you.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Being honest with ourselves is the most important project!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks all. I’m good at being honest with myself. Right now I’d like a job in which i don’t have to deal with people. lol

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Hey Guru. I wrote this post a while ago on nakedpastor you might find helpful “Vocational Advice for Ex-Pastors”: http://www.nakedpastor.com/2012/06/24/vocational-advice-for-ex-pastors/

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m just now joining…. I was a United Methodist pastor for 20 years.  That was after growing up a UM pastor’s kid and marrying a pastor!  My husband became an RN, and three years ago I became a Spiritual Care Coordinator for hospice.  It’s been wonderful, challenging, and full of growth, but I’m really ready to get out of Christian-related jobs altogether.  I handed in my ordination 3 years ago, and this job was a good “raft” to land on after I left the Church and dealt with the grief.  I’m really not sure at all about what kind of job I want to do, though!

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Hi Pegasus, WELCOME!

Profile photo of celticpaisley
    celticpaisley
    Participant

I’m almost an ex-pastor, but not entirely out of the system because I need to preserve my 20+ year pension, so I’m keeping a low profile here. I’m re-inventing my skill-set right now too. Not easy in a tough economy, but I’ll do it. Message me if anyone wants/needs to talk.

Profile photo of thejadedfool
    thejadedfool
    Participant

Ex-pastor here as well… Served as both Youth Pastor and Associate Pastor… Our head pastor was in the national guard… I would serve as pastor when he was away… 8+ years in the ministry… this was from 91 – 99… Went to an Assembly of God College… Ordained and Served in a Independent Charismatic Church…

“I used to be a pastor… but I gave it up for lent…” is something that I say when people ask… lol ;-P

Peace & Much Love!

David

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.