Awesome Rob Bell Interview

Blog Forums Deconstruction Ex-pastors & Leaders Awesome Rob Bell Interview

This topic contains 67 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@richard

“I think you are assuming that once I have placed my faith in a particular outcome I can’t change my mind as new information comes along.”

This is the second time either I haven’t communicated things well or you have misunderstood Sir in order to come to the conclusions you have.

What you think about what I have assumed is a conclusion you have come to of your own volition. What I have learnt in life is that no matter how I come across or how considertate I am in the way i articulate myself, there will be people that come to a negative conclusion abuot where I am coming fomr and my intentions in what I conver. It saddnes me a little that you have the perception of me doing what you think I am without equally artuculating other possibilities fomr what I have written.

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

@Adam-JuliansWhat you think about what I have assumed is a conclusion you have come to of your own volition. What I have learnt in life is that no matter how I come across or how considertate I am in the way i articulate myself, there will be people that come to a negative conclusion abuot where I am coming fomr and my intentions in what I conver. It saddnes me thar you have the perception of me that you articulate.

I think once you get to know me, you’ll understand that I speak very precisely and I’m not offended easily.  You don’t come across negative to me at all.

In open dialog you have complete freedom to speak what you believe without worrying that you are going to offend me.  I am not offended at all currently.

The way I learn is to deconstruct ideas and look at their flaws.  This is about ideas, not you personally.  I deconstruct my own all the time.  I have no attachment to any particular idea, because I am reasonably certain they will change as I find out new things.

Express yourself all you want, I am not offended.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@Richard with all due respect, Sir I can’t marry what you say about you thinking I am assuming you can’t change your mind from having a faith in one outcome you cant change it in the light of new eveidence as being about an idea and not personal as you say. In my opinon that was being personal and suggesting I was making an assmaption about you that would perceive you in a lees than reasonable way.

I would suggest deconstucting this idea, the thought you had about me as being in consistent with what you say about your approach to deceonstuction of your’s as well as other’s ideas.

Jeni Ananda
    Participant

I listened to the Rob Bell interview- haven’t gotten to the second link yet. The first Bell book I ever read was “Velvet Elvis.” I loved it and it scared the shit out of me at the same time. I’ve read all his books- not the new one yet.   Drops Like Stars is on my coffee table. I think His view of God is so loving and wonderfully stretching- his books helped me to find some beauty in the Old Testament.
    I think —- ‘being good’ has to do with knowing ourselves. I think one of the most precious things in life is to ‘Know Thyself.’ I think of it as- amnesia or alzheimers- when people are cruel or malicious or greedy or manipulative.

A man must first believe he is a thief before he will rob someone.

When we treat people in a hateful way- we have forgotten who we are. One of my favorite analogies is the movie- the Notebook. I refused to watch it for a long time, partly bc watching romantic things is hard for me- I don’t have a romantic husband & it hurts, so I stay away from ‘chic flicks’ and most of them are corny and unrealistic anyway- but that movie to me was a metaphor for God. She has alzheimers and doesn’t remember who she is, that she is in love with him, but he lives in the rest home with her- even though he doesn’t really need to. He reads their story to her every day- acting like a stranger bc she wouldn’t be comfortable with the intimacy of him being her husband- because she doesn’t remember he is the love of her life. He waits, he woos her, he courts her all day long- just for the chance for her to recognize him and dance with him, be with him, see him as her husband for even 5 minutes.

I believe people act in vengeance or spite because they have forgotten who they are and how loved they are. To be able to act on our true nature- the image of God- is to truly ‘Know Thyself’ and be able to flow with the purpose and intention of creation. Like a beautiful dance and rhythm that we can harmonize with.

I think when Jesus said: “What does it profit a man to gain the whole world, but lose his soul?” He was talking about us forgetting who we are. If we don’t know who we are- we have, in a sense: lost our soul. That’s how I think of it.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Jeni – Beautiful explanation! I completely agree. Thanks for sharing!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Well @JeniAnanda… I like how you think of it. Articulately and beautifully put. Actually, I resisted watching the Notebook for a long time because my heart had grown cold due to a terrible church situation. I instinctively knew that watching it would break me so I avoided it. Then, one night when I was alone, I watched it and cried like a baby. That’s my memory of that movie. In fact, it is like an elixir on my shelf… when I need to have my heart softened again I reach for it.

Jeni Ananda
    Participant

@ David- yeah, I think I only watched it the once. I read the book after- I actually enjoyed/cried more in the movie. I loved how he didn’t even confront her (at first) about the letters. He just wanted more time with her. He said: “If you’ll come back tomorrow, there something I’d really like to show you.” That’s how I see God. He doesn’t throw it in our face that we’ve ignored Him, or didn’t care, or had rage against Him- He just gets excited that we came to Him & says: “Hey, I really enjoyed seeing you- will you come back tomorrow so I can show you something beautiful?”

David Hayward
    Keymaster

It is a beautiful and poetic story. A metaphor. Thanks :)

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.