Awesome Rob Bell Interview

Blog Forums Deconstruction Ex-pastors & Leaders Awesome Rob Bell Interview

This topic contains 67 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

This is one of the best Rob Bell interviews ever.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Here’s something different, a reflection that reveals the death of the church that Rob suggests is happening. I found this embarrassing and painful to watch. You don’t have to watch very much of it before you see the fear. In fact he points to the writing on the wall saying if Rob Bell is right then we’re all wasting out time. Watch carefully when he says those words, he hears himself, and then I think he shits himself just a little. Oh and David Platt, that poor man is a hurting unit. What a horrible place to live, being responsible for 600 million lost Indians.

I just thought I’d share these as I realize there are so many ship jumpers here, and some captains to boot.

Profile photo of cowboyjunkey
    cowboyjunkey
    Participant

I’ll listen to the interview at a later time but I did watch the second link.

I will give it to the guy giving the sermon (not David Platt), he did do a good job at holding back personal comments and trying to explain the argument.  However – its pretty easy to stand up and argue your point by saying its all in the Bible and not actually giving any evidence.  I’ve read Love Wins and I totally agree with his argument. But – I do understand where the speaker is coming from – if in the end it all works out then what is the point in acting good? Or what is good?

Lots to think about.  I look forward to hearing Rob.

cowboyjunkey
    Participant

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

You lost me at the end there, if in the end it all works out…? All I heard throughout that speech was fear. Look at has face, he’s not a happy man. He’s afraid that Rob might be onto something that will make his entire life a waste of time. The cornerstone of his faith castle is the Holy Bible. I agree, he really just uses his bible as a trump card.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

At the end where he writes off Rob and Brian McLaren as just trying to invent their own Christianity, what he doesn’t understand is that the Baptist world view was an invention too. In Velvet Elvis, Rob goes to great length to show us that the scriptures have always been subject to interpretation. The speaker is standing within a constructed theology and waiving his Bible and spewing fear. The truth is, God is so beyond our constructs.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

LOVED the first Rob Bell interview! Haven’t listened to the second one yet but I’m looking forward to it.

Thanks for sharing those with us!

Wade
    Participant

the scriptures have always been subject to interpretation.

Aye. That they have! And as I mentioned elsewhere, the very earliest commentators even happened to have some of their works turned into canon. :-)

Wade.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

These are the words of Daniel Akin and David Platt: “There is no way you can read the Bible and come up with Rob Bell’s theological conclusions. What is your source of authority? Do you do what you do because of reason, experience and tradition?  I do what I do and believe what I believe because God’s word says so. I don’t think I’m smart enough to tell God what’s right and wrong. There are parts of the Bible I’m terribly uncomfortable with. The problem isn’t the Bible. The problem is me. To ever cross that line is to commit spiritual, theological suicide.”
    I guess we’re all dead.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@starfielder Isn’t it funny that for all the rhetoric and clever talk some people just end up talking a load of shite. I would love to introduce some people to Mary who goes to the cathedral. Mary McIroy her name is. She is 92, has been going to the cathedral for 70 years is 4′ 11” skin as thick as rhino and doesn’t stand for any nonsense. She could cut people down with just a look! LOL

She is brilliant – had a huge laugh with her as she this tiny little woman stood straight up in front of me an two other big strapping guys. And she said “right, when I am carried through on a coffin in a parade through the cathedral. I want all of you standing to attention”. What a belly laugh! :) I love her.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ya Star, we’re so dead to that crap. OMG the fear is palpable, and it makes great fertilizer. Holy shit. The thing is though, that kind of truth has a significant gravitational pull. It’s the way our brains work, we compare. If that information sounds counter to the information that I have installed, that I have come to call truth, then it must be untrue and i must reject it. “I’m not smart enough to tell God…” that’s so telling too. I don’t think Rob is telling God anything, I think Rob is just trying to figure it out like the rest of us, and I think God can handle it if we’re off the mark a wee bit. However, if God is Love, as I believe he is, then I think he’s deeply saddened by those who hold up a book and say, “this is all God has to say.”

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Wow Wayne. Right on.

Gary
    Participant

“I don’t think I’m smart enough to tell God what’s right and wrong.”

You’re right Wayne…this is such a telling comment.  The real irony in such a statement is that the one attempting to speak for God…to literally define right and wrong for God, is the one making that comment.  The presumption of understanding with these people is remarkable.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@CowboyJunkey Thanks for your comments here.  ” if in the end it all works out then what is the point in acting good? Or what is good?” 

I think that an examination of the Sermon on the Mount is a good indicator of “Good.”   And what is the point?  The point of being good and acting good is that it is very rewarding to help someone, love someone, care for someone else.  It feels right to do it.  It is part of out nature to be this way.  Likewise, doing evil has negative consequences as well aside from spiritual ones.  We don’t need eternal torment in other words to make us behave.

And we do good also because we are created by a good and benevolent creator (again its our nature).   We also know good and bad without being told the difference for the most part.  If you ask anyone who claims to be an atheist for instance what is good and what is bad, we would agree on a lot I believe.  I think they would agree that the following is bad:  murder, rape, lying, stealing, selfish acts, fearful acts and cowardly acts as well.

I often think about this from the perspective of a father.  I have three kids, and I expect them to be good.  I have even showed them what that looks like.  During times when they behaved poorly I let them know that they were misbehaving.  I did not threaten to eternally punish them for the bad behavior.  But instead responded out of love to them as their father.  And they grew up and now do more good than harm.   When they mess up, they come to me knowing that I love them and would not want them to be hurt in anyway.  Instead I help them and try to see them through to a better day.  Again, fathers love their kids and believe in the best for them, and would never wish to see their kids overly punished for anything they did wrong – even when their own children reject them as parents, they wish them well.

Just some food for thought while you are processing all of this.  Thanks again for your comments.

cowboyjunkey
    Participant

@John thanks for your thoughts.  As a relatively new father (we started with a 6 year old 2 years ago) I can relate.  I’ll have to spend some time thinking and praying about this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.