Cowboy Junkies: Bea's song

Blog Forums Reconstruction Living Creatively Cowboy Junkies: Bea's song

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  David Hayward 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cowboyjunkey
    cowboyjunkey
    Participant

As you can probably guess from my username I’m a huge Cowboy Junkies fan.  I had the pleasure of going to see them this past week in a small venue and even being able to chat with Margo Timmins after in the lobby.  I haven’t seen them live for over ten years and I believe I only had seen them live once prior to this week.  This was the band that I’d listen to every day or nearly every day through high school and university.  I always had a CD nearby.

Bea’s song is one that I had forgotten about until they played it at the concert.  Amazing how I could sing every word after not hearing it for years.  Cowboy Junkies are all about the sad, beautiful, songs.  This one has a special connection to me because the Speed River that they refer to is in Guelph, Ontario, Canada and I spent a lot of time by that river.  I biked along for a few summers going to work, I’d sit in a park nearby it and read a day away, and I’d go down by the banks just like they show in the video and just sit, journal, and pray.  I hope I never live the story in this video.

http://youtu.be/2eSeacdyJSM

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of cowboyjunkey cowboyjunkey. Reason: Embedded video doesn't show in post, added link

David Hayward
    Keymaster

ya, great song. i’ve always liked their stuff too. i wondered why they never got more popular.

cowboyjunkey
    Participant

They were popular, had the big record deal, and played big concerts but they let that go to focus on doing things the way they wanted. Its part of their story I love.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

well i respect that. like bruce cockburn.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow – that is the first song I have heard from these folks.  Loved it.  So sad and beautiful…  :)   Reminds me a little of Wilco and even Alex Dezen.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Love the Cowboy Junkies! Thanks!

cowboyjunkey
    Participant

@John I need to check out Wilco. I’ve heard of him but never the music. I’ve tried embedding videos using the code from youtube but it never works. Copy & paste, right?

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

You might also like these:
    Son Volt
    Band of Horses
    Gillian Welch
    Beth Orton
    Eilen Jewell
    Neutral Milk Hotel

Less consistent, I can guide in terms of albums:
    Cracker

More Wilco, the Mermaid Avenue records that they made with Billy Bragg are excellent.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@CowboyJunkey   Have you tried JUST copying and pasting the link?

David Hayward
    Keymaster

yes @cowboyjunkies … copy and paste. looking forward to more.

cowboyjunkey
    Participant

I copy and paste the share link but maybe because its the shortened one that’s the problem.  I’ll try straight from the browser address next time.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

yes, when you click “share” on youtube, choose the “embed” one i think. not the “url” one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.