Creating a local group

Blog Forums Introductions Chit Chat Creating a local group

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cowboyjunkey cowboyjunkey 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cowboyjunkey
    cowboyjunkey
    Participant

It’s been a while since I’ve updated everyone on what I’ve been up to to here goes.

Ever since the fall I’ve been working at getting a TLS like group going in my town. We’ve met once as a group of about 10 people but lately its been just me and one other person. This person is really excited about the group and is really the gasoline behind my spark.

We’ve decided to call ourselves Freethinkers. Atheist, agnostic, theist, spiritual-but-not-religious, humanitarian, or whatever someone calls themselves. Our local paper has a spot for free ads for local groups that so I put in an ad. I got more than I bargained for – the paper called and wanted to interview us, do a picture, and write up a feature article! We did the interview last week but the article hasn’t shown up yet.

The cost to all of this has been more tension in my marriage. She hasn’t been comfortable with the group I’ve been creating but she also knows that her discomfort is not a reason for me not to do this. Now that its going to be out in public it adds a new dimension to things. The good this is that my wife is starting to go on her own spiritual journey. Its come from discussions that she has based her spirituality on me so this is a good thing, even though its tough now.

I don’t think I’d be at this point without this online community of people. Thanks for all of you for helping me through my deconstruction. I’m not around here as much anymore but I still love dropping by. I feel right now I’m in a journey of construction away from the online world but I still want to be a part of this. I’ll see ya’all around!

Andreas
    Participant

Wow, awesome and inspiring! I have no plans to start a local group but I have been getting in contact with people through social media and otherwise that have difficult and interesting experiences from church and views on the church. Thinking about maybe gather a group of these people together for a weekend at a castle nearby, simple conversations over dinner or by the fireplace, perhaps mixing it up with young theologians, progressive pastors, lectures on cults, skepticism etc. We’ll see, I would love to do it but it needs more time, starting out in a smaller scale, conversations over coffee etc.

I wish you and your group well and your wife as well and I hope she discovers a way through this.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Thanks Cowboy for the update! You are on quite a ride! Good-on-ya as they say! Keep us posted.

Profile photo of Chris M
    Chris M
    Participant

That’s awesome. I’ve thought of doing the same thing.

cowboyjunkey
    Participant

I just posted an article the local paper did about our group to the Facebook group. I can’t see a place to put a picture here. Our local paper doesn’t put much up on its website so its a good old fashioned paper article!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I saw the paper article. Awesome. I just did a local event here last thursday. There were 8 of us.

Profile photo of McBeth
    McBeth
    Participant

Am seriously considering trying to create a similar group..I am craving in-person dialogue specifically surrounding the person and example of Jesus without the traditional evangelical framework. Would appreciate any practical advice/thoughts/suggestions about pursuing this.

cowboyjunkey
    Participant

Come join our group! Go to the Groups tab along the top of the site and look for us. (We’re the only group so far so it should be easy.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.