Failure: If you have it, you probably suck.

Blog Forums Deconstruction Spiritual Abuse Failure: If you have it, you probably suck.

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Holli, I used to speak up. all. the. time. and now I simply stopped caring. I wonder when this will change, if it will. Maybe this is just my allergic reaction.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@Hollidurost – You crack me up.  I love reading your stuff…  :)

Wade
    Participant

The problem with so many people still mired in the church is that they tend to take the “the bible is black and white, thus sayeth the lord” mindset (create description, BTW) even when they think they don’t. Even the least conservative evangelical churches do this.

And @Hollidurost, you made me laugh, wishing spankings were an acceptable response! :-D

Wade.

Profile photo of McBeth
    McBeth
    Participant

Reading a great book, “Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error”. It delves into our culture’s obsession with being right and how we dont apreciate the important role that failure/wrongness have in our growth. Some interesting stuff on the role religion has played in this messed up thinking. Very thought provoking.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@hollidurost  I love the phrase you wrote “I wish spankings were an acceptable response to condescension.” There are a few people I know who could do with a healthy slap done in love.

The use of profanity when I get an allergic reaction to such things you are talking about is something I am finding useful right now. I guess that is a reflection of the intensity of the emotion I experience when it happens. I liked the sharing that was going on in the recent hangout and how folks have the ability to laugh at such times. I do have a knack of using humour in a socially acceptable way similarly. I find “fuck off” is my way of administering a “slap” as well, and there are times for the use of that. I don’t feel guilty about the use of profanity at such times now where I used to and I take that as a sign of progress and freedom. “Fuck off” has so many uses does it not?

“Fuck off is such a lovely pair of words” Billy Connolly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-FzOxc14d8

Ren
    Participant

I think that people who use this idea think of God as something/someone hie is not.

1.God will not make everything perfect for you. You will be wrong. you will fail in things big and small.

2.I think people use this idea to make everyone”get in line” because it’s impossible to NOT FAIL. Therefore, everyone who reads it, even if they feel self righteous, will still work even harder to “get right with God”, which means of course, doing what the leadership at your church says.

It’s a trick statement.

And those who think they are “in the right” are lying to themselves about something. Or they simply haven’t failed, yet.

They might as well have just said, “GET YOUR ASS IN CHURCH AND OBEY, NOW!”  But that doesn’t sound nearly as spiritual.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Thanks, @McBeth.  I’ll have a gander.

@john and @staticsan I’m changing it to spoon-spankings.  Better visual.  :)

@adam-julians Hah!  Good video.  And you’re right, sometimes “fuck off” communicates everything :).   If I want to keep a conversation rolling, I may hold off on it for the time being.  ;)

Yes @ren!  Today I asked my Dad, the pastor of an evangelical church in northern Maine:  How Christ-like would you say you are on a scale of 1-10?

Being as humble as any good Christian is taught to appear, he said “sometimes I think I’m getting close to the scale and I look at HIM and realize I have such a long ways to go!  What’s sin?  The Bible is the only measuring stick and I have to go by what God said is sin and not what people say is sin!”. What to say!?

So, I sent him this link:  http://www.nola.com/religion/index.ssf/2011/03/changes_to_the_bible_through_the_ages_are_being_studied_by_new_orleans_scholars.html

Profile photo of Amy
    Amy
    Participant

Four things:

1. I love the phrase “For the love of chicken pot pie.” I also love chicken pot pie.

2. I, too, wish I could spank people for their condescension.

3. I’m with @adam-julians that “Fuck off” is really useful.  When I see that kind of crap posted, I may not say it, but I enjoy thinking in my head, “Oh, just fuck right off, you stupid cow.”  Mean, but cathartic.  I also sometimes write fictional stories in which my characters use the phrase.

4. When I really can’t stand it, I blow off steam by tweeting it. I keep my Twitter feed and my Facebook friends separate for that very reason.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ohhhh @Amy- smart idea to keep the 2 feeds separate.  I might have to try that :)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.