Fear

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Richard Richard 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@Richard

When I see you’ve written a response or post, I get all situated in my chair, tell everyone to hush up and then soak it in.

“The problem with Christianity is that it “solves” this problem by appealing to our ego.  It doesn’t help us get past our ego.” – I agree, that was my experience as well. It felt very limiting and confusing because of that limitation.

“In my personal exploration the idea that has the most evidence to me is the idea of re-incarnation.  ”  I tend to agree. And I can’t but thank you, someone whom I consider deeply objective and logical, for sharing your inclination to consider this idea seriously.

Profile photo of SaraJ
    SaraJ
    Participant

WOW!!  There is so much here…This thread is amazing. So interesting…I’ll have to reread many times.

What I fear:  That none of this is real.  That all of the struggle, turmoil and pain in life is for nothing.  That this is some horrible sick experiment.  Sounds crazy I know (an experiement).  Oh..thats another thing I fear…going crazy…now thats crazy.

What if all of this life we live is for nothing at all?

Can someone define for me what ‘mindful meditation’ is?  And how someone can start?  Sorry if this sounds stupid but I really don’t know exactly what it means.

Thanks. :)

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

A place to start with meditation is to recognize that most fear is irrational.

Fear can be helpful in the moment of danger.  And even then fear can be our enemy because it can so overwhelm us that we freeze.

In our modern age most fear is based on stuff we make up in our own minds.  Most of what we fear never happens, but we still experience the negative effects of that fear.  High blood pressure, heart problems, stiff necks, sore backs, digestive problems, grinding teeth, insomnia, etc. etc.

All of these are realities created by imaginary things.

Now your question is:  What if all of this life is for nothing at all?

The question I ask myself in light of this is:  Have I  done and experienced things that I enjoy?  If the answer is yes then that is something.  So right away we are past nothing.

I imagine you might really be asking is there a bigger purpose to all of this than enjoying my life?

How would your life be different if there was?

What function would this bigger purpose serve?

These would both be examples of mindful meditation.  There is no one right answer, but these can be gateways to exploring more subtle ways of being in this life.

As you meditate on these questions and as you imagination comes across different ideas, check in with your emotions and your body.  They both tend to let you know how you really feel about various ideas.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.