Free from the fear of man, so now I speak up!

Blog Forums Deconstruction The Church Free from the fear of man, so now I speak up!

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of katiepearl katiepearl 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

StarryNight
    Participant

So one thing that found as soon as I was out of the box spiritually and outside the corporate culture of institutionalized Christianity was that I had some things to say! While I was in the middle of it I was too afraid to be criticized, and to afraid to lose my paycheck if I brought those things up.

Today I wrote a blog article (with a friend who is still on staff at a church) about church tithes and offerings being more like corporate dues than an act of worship. (Ya, I will probably ruffle some feathers with this one.) It is here is you’d like to read my thoughts – http://www.chadestes.com/2012/09/are-church-offerings-an-act-of-worship/

Have you experienced more freedom to share your thoughts outside of the institution? Do you ever wish you’d have spoken up back then? What are you passionate to discuss now?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  David Hayward.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Well, there are a few things that I feel more free about.  For example, I have a series of blog posts that I wrote months ago and was afraid to post because I thought there might be repercussions.  But honestly, my big mouth (or rather, my blog) was what prompted us to leave in the first place.  I’m pretty outspoken, but it didn’t seem like it was much of a big deal.  But then in July, my husband got an email with a video message about “church discipline.”  There are 4 reasons our church “disciplines” members: naughty sex, gossip, being “divisive” (whatever that means), and something they call “doctrinal error.”  My husband and I felt that my blog probably puts us in both of the last two categories (although some of my blog posts might have made them think we qualified for the first two as well).  The crazy part is, the church members love my blog, and so do 2 of the pastors.  But the rest of the staff do not.

So the short answer is that no, I don’t feel more free to speak my mind, for the most part.  But I do feel free from worrying that whatever I’ve said will get me in trouble.

StarryNight
    Participant

Good for you, Amy! I didn’t see your blog listed on your profile. Is it something you feel like sharing here?

The first time I got in trouble for my blog was just after Christmas when I wrote about my year and the struggle I was having dealing with negative thoughts and depression. While I had a lot of very positive feedback from the vulnerability of the post it didn’t make the Sr. or Executive pastor very happy and they told me that as a church staff member I couldn’t blog. It was pretty hypocritical because the Sr. pastor was off writing books of his own and sharing his opinions, but I couldn’t write about my own life. I was pretty shaken. Thankfully my dad, who is usually a peacemaker, took me to the side and gave me a stern directive – “You will write.” I haven’t stopped since.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

“naughty sex”—haha!  God forbid!!  You rock Amy :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

LOL!  Best part is, that’s a really, really broad category.  There’s a long list of things one can do that are naughty!

Yes, I can share my blog.  Going to change my profile. :)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok…so I’m tech illiterate and I have no idea how to make it show up.  But my blog is http://www.unchainedfaith.com and I’m @amyunchained on Twitter.  It’s nearly time to eat lasagna, so I don’t have time to figure this out any further at the moment. :)

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I still “hear” negative voices. Plus I get hate mail every day. Typical. I have to be certain in my own choices and shut out the nay-sayers and critics.

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

My motto this week is “Ignore the haters. You’re not the jackass whisperer.”

starfielder
    Participant

And, Chad, I have always appreciated your honesty and forthrightness. Thank you.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Love that: “jackass whisperer”! :)

starfielder
    Participant

I think “jackass whisperer” is brilliant and every time I say it, I laugh. I did not come up with the phrase but it’s a keeper.

StarryNight
    Participant

Amy, thanks for posting the link to your blog before you succumbed to the lasagna lust. I look forward to reading your blog.

David, maybe you can post some of your favorite hate mail from time to time for us!

Starfielder – you are a winner in my book!

David Hayward
    Keymaster

sure. that’s a great idea chad. maybe i’ll start a new thread: “Share hate-mail you’ve received!” and i’ll start with one of my own. hahaha.

Jeni Ananda
    Participant

YES! There are SO many things that I am free to express- now that I don’t feel a particular person looking over my shoulder-  watching my fb page to make sure that I’m not ‘misrepresenting’ the church. And, I feel like I can hear God’s voice without doubting, trying to hold it up to what the pastor believes. I am certainly not into ‘jackass whispering.’ More like ‘jackass whipping.’ But I am learning to restrain my tongue. tee hee

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Anxiously awaiting the hate-mail thread!  And JeniAnanda–I agree–a “jackass whipping” is more like it but “jackass whisperer” does make me laugh!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.