Hi, I'm new :)

Blog Forums Reconstruction Leftovers Hi, I'm new :)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Lentz 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of deborah
    Deborah
    Participant

I was trying to think of how I might introduce myself and I’ve stalled so,  I thought I’d share an ‘artsy’ thing  I wrote instead :)

HOW TO KILL A DRAGON

Everything I need to know of you, I knew when I was six.

Fall leaves, wind and quiet songs, secrets I would never tell -but I could tell you anything.  Mornings were my favorite. The house was still and while the bigger people slept we’d go outside and talk about the things we liked.

You said you liked the sky and how it’s always changing. I said I liked my dog because she could see you too.

A new wind came and I must have bumped my head. I fell asleep and woke to silence. I couldn’t hear your voice or find you in our secret places.

Someone said I’d made you up, that you were never really real. He tried to cheer me up and told me I was getting older now and didn’t need an imaginary friend. He was big and I was little, so I guessed it must be true.

But now and then a fragrance came and followed me in dreams. I couldn’t see your face or hear your songs but it was you; no one else smells like that. Like heaps of cotton-candy, peaches and that narrow path behind the school after it rained.

One night, in my favorite dream, I was led into a storm. In the eye stood a dragon that breathed a funny fire and sought to kill your voice forever. When I saw how big the creature was, I remembered I was small, and cried; “All I have is this,You’re gone when I’m awake!” Before long, I’d cried so hard the fire went out, and because the creature never learned to swim, it drowned.

I fought to see and hear you, and keep the things you love to say: Stories painting heaven, ancient and familiar rooms, my chair, a rose, and colors playing music.

You love a sky that always changes and little things, like mountains. But my favorite part so far is this: You sent the wind and showed me how to kill a dragon, so I’d never have to sleep to dream again.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

I couldn’t hear your voice or find you in our secret places.” Like :) Welcome!

Profile photo of deborah
    Deborah
    Participant

Thanks David!
    ‘Key Master’  sweet!  I always think of Ghostbusters when I hear that title lol!
    Thanks for making this site- it’s good.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Deborah  – I LOVED what you wrote about killing the dragon! So beautiful! What a great introduction. So glad you are here. Welcome!!

Profile photo of agnosticbeliever
    AgnosticBeliever
    Participant

Welcome Deborah….that was beautiful :)

Profile photo of starfielder
    starfielder
    Participant

Hi deborah! Keep the writing coming!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It is good here, and you are welcome. Great word crafting too.

Profile photo of deborah
    Deborah
    Participant

Thanks Y’all!  Very encouraging! :)

Rob Lentz
    Participant

That was really good, thanks for sharing.  From one newbie, to another – Welcome!  I could really relate to the opener – “Everything I need to know of you, I new when I was six.” Love that.  (before sunday school, before Bible studies, before theology, before us/them tribalism – that is powerfully simple).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.