Holiday Survival – Funny!

Blog Forums Reconstruction Laugh Links & Ideas Holiday Survival – Funny!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Danielle 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of pamwerner
    pamwerner
    Participant

In case you didn’t get to see this…Could be fun! And profitable!

How to Survive The Holidays With Evangelical Family Members: A SCCL Survival Guide

by Stuff Christian Culture Likes on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 7:49am ·

Last year my friend told me that she and her husband survive the holidays with Christian culture family members by making a game out of it. They call it Bug-Me Bucks. It’s kind of like fantasy football and it’s kind of brilliant.

Before the visit you make a list of which family members will say or do a particular thing that they always do that really bugs you. Assign a dollar amount to each transgression. As each event happens, tally it in your head. Then you get to spend that money on whatever you want (shoes, pixy sticks, weed) without grief from your life partner because that is YOUR hard-earned money.

Example: Will your sister-in-law tell her kids to “have a happy heart like Jesus”? Then you get a dollar. (Or however much you assigned to it.) Will your mom’s eyes glaze over and loll back in her head if you accidentally say “dammit”? Another dollar! Will you father-in-law give you his trademark side hug instead of a less-erotic regular hug? Will your in-laws remind you that having gay friends will destroy your marriage? That one gets at least three dollars.

Important: don’t tell your family you’re doing this. Only you, or your spouse or other like-minded family member can know. Bug-Me Bucks exists only for your comfort and survival.

I tried this at a recent family reunion and my anxiety and suicidal ideation were much much lower than they usually are at family gatherings. And I made $43 in a week.”

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  David Hayward.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Love the “Bug-Me Buck” idea!! Don’t think I could do it without cracking up every time I chalked up another dollar sign though.

Profile photo of Crysti
    Crysti
    Participant

Great idea! But this is my first year being on the other side! I bet I bugged everyone I know!

Last night in Home Depot with my son looking for Christmas lights was so freeing- I could enjoy all the snowmen and candy canes and Santa with no guilt. I was giddy.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Crystal -that is really AWESOME!!! So happy for you!

R2
    Participant

Haha PAM, I am gonna be able to buy a CAR!

Crystal – congrats!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sadly (happily?), I wouldn’t make any money.  I love spending time with both my family and my in-laws.  But my in-laws (being the generous, kind people they are) often have family friends in for the holidays who don’t have family to spend them with.  I could have used the “bug me bucks” at Thanksgiving.  One of their friends sat next to me and proceeded to tell me all about his views on President Obama, people who milk the system for welfare, and how legalized pot is going to make the country go to hell in a hand-basket.  For 30 minutes.  I could have made a fortune just in that short span of time! LOL.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Randy – that’s hilarious.

And this: “Will you father-in-law give you his trademark side hug instead of a less-erotic regular hug?” especially gave me the giggles.

This idea is terrific. Make a game of it. Keep it light.

Danielle
    Participant

This is hilarious. Love it. I have a cousin who, whenever a secular Christmas song plays, will say, “that has nothing to do with the Lord” and an atheist brother who, when you wish him a happy Christmas, will mumble, in this snide tone, something about Pagan winter solstice.
    Instead of feeling like yelling, “It’s just a nice thing your family says to you! Even the stranger passing me on the street this morning with his little girl with her new Christmas bike wished me a happy Christmas!” I am just going to count Bourbon money in my head.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Danielle.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.