How much do you tell family?

Blog Forums Deconstruction Family & Friends How much do you tell family?

This topic contains 34 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KellieM78 KellieM78 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

irreverance
    Participant

Spirituality is generally not something that is discussed in the family, except for a few references by others that evoke an evangelical catch phrase. If religion comes up, I know there isn’t going to be any “discussion,” since I know that no one is inclined to listen to anything I actually have to say (and I’ve already heard all the things they have to say and generally reject them). So, I’ve just decided that this will never be a part of my relationship with my family. I’m actually quite comfortable with that.

Profile photo of seithman
    JarredH
    Participant

I’m in much the same boat as you.

Tracey
    Participant

I had my first “coming out” yesterday. I talked to a close friend who had moved away. She was patient, understanding, not too nosy . . .all good. But I still felt shame in the telling, and feel shame in this writing . . .

Any of you read Brene Brown’s books or watch her TED talks? They’ve been helpful. I’m trying to figure out what the base root of the shame is . . .

I guess since I was three I have been told that you have to believe, that God would help you, that if you prayed and read the Bible enough then you would believe. So I think the shame comes from feeling that I wasn’t good enough to get the “believe ticket.”

The shame also comes from being so inarticulate about my beliefs. It was such a struggle to find the words that were true.

I appreciate you all being here–this is tough, feels like a lonely road.

David Hayward
    Keymaster

Don’t give up on your struggle to find the words that are true. I like the way you said that Tracey!

Profile photo of KellieM78
    KellieM78
    Participant

hey I was just reading through this and noticed my post says anonymous. why is that?

Kellie

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.